The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb Bug Reports
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Problems with Maxtor website Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi,

SP17 (I did not try with earlier versions) has problems with this webpage (Safari works well):

<http://www.maxtorsolutions.com/en/catalog/MSS_II_Dual/>

The problem is when you try to view any of the tabs, such as "Specifications", "Reviews", etc., the respective page does not load.

Thank you.
CA

Doesn't work in WebKit.

What happens for me when I click on those tabs, is that those items are just down further on the page.

Review:
http://www.maxtorsolutions.com/en/ca...Dual/#tab_revi
What's Included:
http://www.maxtorsolutions.com/en/ca...Dual/#tab_what

So not opening in new window, even if using command + shift + click or something does not really surprise me a lot.

What browser did you test this in, Mad Hatter? In no browser I tried did it simply move the page down.

Take a look in Firefox if you want to see how it's supposed to function (and it's not opening a new window.)

Because I didn't specify what I was using to test the behavior, I assumed you would know we / I are talking about OmniWeb 5.5 SP17.

yes, FF can FORCE it to open in a new tab, but I don't think that is either good or desired, after all those type of urls with # are designed to go to another part of the web page.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Hatter
Because I didn't specify what I was using to test the behavior, I assumed you would know we / I are talking about OmniWeb 5.5 SP17.
Well, SP17 doesn't exhibit that behavior for me. I just wanted to clairfy because you had said "What happens for me when I click on those tabs, is that those items are just down further on the page." and in none of the browsers I tested did it do that.

Quote:
yes, FF can FORCE it to open in a new tab, but I don't think that is either good or desired,
That's not what I'm talking about, hence "(and it's not opening a new window.)"

Quote:
after all those type of urls with # are designed to go to another part of the web page.
Not at all. URLs that use # are often used as anchors with names to target a specific part on the page. However, that's not the use of them in this case. If you view the source, you will not find one instance of "<a name".

# by itself does nothing. #fragment by itself does nothing. It's common to use # as a link just to make the href valid but use javascript or CSS to make something else happen.

On the URL in the original post, the links are used to hide and show the tabs used within the page. The # is being used to identify the corresponding div to show.

For example:
Code:
<div class="tabSection bvr-tabsection" id="tab_what">

Those tabs are not necessarily respective pages.

In OmniWeb it moves to the fragment.

In FF it does also, unless you use command key.

I just clicked on links. And, it depends on what your settings are of course for any browser as to when to open tabs or new windows, when to open in same, etc.

Basically, it works as I would expect in both browsers.

I don't obviously know how to code or interpret html - I just learned about # fragments from another site where it was added (so I could use a bookmark or url to go to that section of the web page - in that case it is a list of parts).

Those links I provided do the same, those urls go to the fragment in question, both browsers jump down the page if I click on those "tabs" also, and don't open new windows (which I would not want). Which I think is what most end users, not html programmers or _____? would desire. It navigates just fine.

<edit>[s]I don't think caugusto or I have said those tabs are pages.[/s]
doh, he did.</edit>

Anyway, I've taken some motion screen captures of how the tabs work in both firefox and omniweb 5.5 sp17. WebKit does the same thing as OW. Apparently your install of sp17 function differently than this.

Firefox (and how I believe it's supposed to work)
OmniWeb

Last edited by Forrest; 2006-07-10 at 11:32 AM..

Hi Forrest,

Your motion screen captures show exactly what I see.
In my case, Safari and Camino show the proper behavior (like you see with FF).

Thank you.
Regards,
CA