The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Project at Home, with Action at Work Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I am not using them now, but would like to begin using them again. When I tried before, I couldn't filter by flags.

So your suggestion is...
for items that need to be done at work from home
or home from work...

flag them...

then at the beginning of the day, unfocus and filter on the flagged items to see what needs to be done.

This is a good idea. However, the problem with it is the same as my post to Anna.
http://forums.omnigroup.com/showpost...98&postcount=7
It breaks the contexts.

Unless... everytime I go to a context, I unfocus and filter on the flags to see if there are any flagged items in that context. The focus again on my work actions.

yeech... that's a lot of work.

Why not have a "Personal at work" context and create a perspective that looks at that, unfocused? You just have to remember to check it every day.

Personally, I use the double context solution for home and work solutions, and keep this Personal at work context in the perspective I use for work.

Nice idea! I've tinkered around with perspectives, but haven't gotten into the habit of using them.

This would work... but to me doesn't seem that different from Anna's post.

The goal of the context is...
I look at the tools available around me (phone, computer)
I choose the context that I want to work on (computer)
I use the computer to complete the actions in that context.

Having a context that does not follow the philosophy of a tool or place where I can do something, breaks the system. The context becomes another inbox. Only I can't move the action to it's appropriate context (agendas, calls, etc).
It just sits in the mush context, and hopefully, when I am around that person, or am making calls, i remember that there is an action in that mush context that I need to do.

The purpose of contexts is to filter all the things you have to do... down to... the things you actually CAN do at this moment.

Do I have a phone with me? Well then what calls do I need to make.
If I am not around a phone, I know I don't need to look at that context.

Here is a real world example:

• Complete Savage Screen test (home project)
••Burn copies of DVD for Dominic & Kim (home computer)
••Place copies of DVD for Dominic & Kim in Inboxes (work today important)

Because this project is at home, I only see the actions when I am at home.
I cannot put the second action into the work folder... I can assign it a context.
As soon as I focus on work, I loose the action.

I think the best solution at this point, is to have a context called
work actions from home

Then when I get to work in the morning, stay unfocused... look at items in that category, and complete them, then focus on work.

Thanks for everyones suggestions.