The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Closing Projects Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
One thing that would be important to me in an app like Focus would be an easy, clear way to close projects once I'm done.

For most, it would be just a matter of deleting the project and associated tasks. But for others, I find myself often wanting to archive them to review or revisit later. The archive could ideally contain the tasks, files associated, email messages, maybe even the schedule. I would be happy to just have these things in a folder - no major archive file format would be needed, or even wanted, as far as I'm concerned.

I'm using Entourage right now and it allegedly has a feature to archive projects - with task, calendar, email and notes data. The thing is, when I re-expand a project from the archive, it often is not the same as it went in. Some things are missing. Also, Entourage sets up an email folder, and a folder in the finder for project data. This is nice, but those folders do not move or rename together. This means that if I alter a project (combining, re-organizing, re-naming, etc.) I have to keep track of 3 independent receptacles. Not good for trusting the system.

It seems like these sort of nitty gritty details could be much better handled, and I have high hopes for Focus.

I kinda like the way that kGTD seems to deal with closed projects. If I complete all the tasks in a project, and wait a day for those tasks to get archived, the project still lingers around. I have to explicitly mark the project as complete before it goes away.

And yes, I vote for some sort of archive system, too! Very important at work for reconstructing what I’ve done.

— Tim