The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Help. Getting New Computer Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I have OF for my iPhone, iPad, and my MacBook Pro laptop. I just found out that I am going to be getting a new Mac Mini next week as a replacement for my laptop. I don't want to have to buy OF again.

I am considering using my iPad as my primary OF tool, but I would rather have OF on the machine where I spend most of my time, which will be the mini.

Any suggestions?

Just install it on the Mini. As I recall, they changed the license terms to allow you to use your desktop and laptop on the same license.

Will all the versions (iphone, ipad, desktop, laptop) all still sync nicely together?

Omni Sync works great! I´m syncing iMac, iPad and iPod Touch.

But what about syncing between two Macs (a desktop and a laptop), an iPhone and an iPad?

I do it all the time (personal notebook, work notebook, iPad, iPhone).

I just wish it was more automatic on the iOS devices. If you make changes in two places and sync out of order you can wind up with duplicates.

The only way you should end up with a duplicate is if you complete the same repeating item on two different devices without syncing between. I change or complete different items all the time on my flotilla of devices (2 Macs, 2 iPads, 2 iPods) and the sync code handles it without difficulty, even when I don't have a chance to sync between using different devices. However, when you complete a repeating item, a new one is created, and the sync code doesn't know how to take the two copies that are created when you complete it on two different devices without syncing and combine them into one (if you think about it, this can get pretty hairy, as you might have then changed each one before syncing, or even completed them and created more!).

It's a good practice to sync whenever you start using a new device (hopefully this is obvious — you want to make sure you are using the latest data) and when you are done using a device (makes sure the any changes you made are available for other devices to pick up, and makes database compaction more likely, which helps performance). The program does try to sync a minute after you make a change, but if you've closed the lid on your laptop, or iOS has killed the app after you launched something else, that might not happen, so I tend to tap the sync button out of habit.

Last edited by whpalmer4; 2011-10-27 at 04:24 PM..

Yes, it's the repeating items that will create duplicates, and clearly you've seen it happen yourself. ;)

I, too, attempt to make it a habit to sync whenever I start using and whenever I finish using OF on any of my devices, but unfortunately it is still possible to forget, get pulled away, lose your signal, close the lid, etc. That's why I used the phrase "more automatic". The way iCloud works with Reminders, Contacts, and so forth is (as far as I know) to sync on every item changed rather than the whole collection. I'm hopeful that Omnigroup will get OF to that point one of these days, but it's not that big a deal. Still worth pointing out to someone who is considering syncing OF between multiple devices like we do.