The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

multiple users on family license Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
OK, maybe this is a really dumb question, but can I create multiple OF files on my computer? Here are two reasons why I may want to do this:
  • My spouse and I may both want to have our own OF task lists on the same computer or hard drive.
  • I'm thinking about creating a separate task list for work and personal on the same computer. I know this is not what David Allen would recommend, but I'm not so sure he's right on this one. He really lives his job. I have a little higher wall between my work and personal life. And my secretary has access to my task list and will occassionally modify it. I'd strongly prefer to keep the personal stuff in a separate place.

How do I do this?

I think I read somewhere that you can have multiple OF files, but you would have to pick one that would receive the items from mail and the quick entry form.

I'm a strong believer in having each user in a family have their own user account. You can still share files between one another— i.e. put you pictures and music in shared files.

I suppose you could do the same thing with your personal and professional lives. When you are home, log into that account. When you are work, log into that account.

Steve

I just answered a similar question here: http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=6441

A few other thoughts for your specific situation:
1) If you're only using one computer, you only need a single license, not a family license. Though since you also mention your secretary, I doubt this is the case.
2) As steve says, your best route for multiple users is to have multiple user accounts. Each user's OmniFocus file will be stored in their own user account by default.
3) "And my secretary has access to my task list and will occassionally modify it." How do you plan to set this up? Unless she's literally just sitting down at your computer to make changes, you could cause some nasty data corruption by editing the same Focus database from two computers at the same time, or end up with two separate, unmerge-able databases. If she's just modifying the iCal calendars you're syncing to, then you could choose which calendars get synced and not sync your personal stuff.

I work at a PC place. Believe it or not, I'm actually thinking about buying a new MacBook that would come with me to work each day, largely so I can use OmniFocus. My secretary currently makes entries in my to do list as I go through pile in my office. I'm using an outlining software for this purpose.

I'm still in the testing phase, but so far OF seems like a dream-come-true for a lawyer with a pretty good case of ADHD.