The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Applescript question for Omni Group Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
An odd question, but here it is...

How difficult is it to add Applescript support to an existing app (without it)?

I know OF has support, thus the developers are familiar with this coding. I ask because of another product (Bento). It doesn't provide support for Applescript and its user forum has countless requests for AS support, after several years.

I'm just speculating here, but I expect that the lack of AppleScript support in Bento has more to do with product placing, and pricing, than difficulty in adding scripting support. FileMaker (the app) has script support, so the folks at FileMaker know how to do it.

Yes, there's been a lot of discussion about making Bento more robust and not threatening FileMaker in the process. Many posters (in the Bento forum) have asked for basic AppleScript capabilities in Bento, for several years. I don't think folks are asking for the scripting ability to produce a runnable Bento app that interacts with the user and processes commands as FM can, but they want some scripting ability to automate some things.

At any rate, I know this hasn't anything to do with OF, but I was curious if OF ninjas could comment on how complex it is to retrofit "basic" AppleScripting to an application, given that they have done that in OF.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvonk View Post
At any rate, I know this hasn't anything to do with OF, but I was curious if OF ninjas could comment on how complex it is to retrofit "basic" AppleScripting to an application, given that they have done that in OF.
Well, they didn't retrofit it, they built the app from the ground up with Applescript support in mind. Far from obvious that bolting on useful Applescript support later is easy if you didn't build it with that expectation!