The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

When does OF check for start dates? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
All of this license glitch business may unearth some questions concerning time checks.

This morning, I "did the time warp again" to get OF going, setting the date to June 14, booting OF, and immediately afterwards switching on the automatic clock adjustment feature. This duly took me back to the 17th.

Now I noticed that a task which I absolutely must do to-day was not available. It had a start date of June 15.

When I changed the start date to June 14, the task became available, and it stayed that way when I manually increased the start date to the 15th and the 16th of June.

Provisional conclusion:

(1) OF only checks for license information at startup.

(2) When you reset the clock or as time moves on, OF does take account of date changes.

(3) However, it seems that the app only checks availability of timed items at startup.

Methinks #3 is a problem, folks. Or am I missing something again, just like in the sad case of the misbehaving quick input window? Is there a longer interval for OF to re-visit timed items? The date change itself does not appear to trigger it.

Klaus

There is something wonky about start dates. They aren't just checked at start-up, but I haven't figured out how they are checked. If I add an action to a parallel project and give the action a future start date, it is still highlighted as available. But moving it to a new location in the project's action list causes it to be recognized as a future action.

Be sure to report bugs using Send Feedback in OF.

Quote:
Originally Posted by curt.clifton
There is something wonky about start dates. They aren't just checked at start-up, but I haven't figured out how they are checked. If I add an action to a parallel project and give the action a future start date, it is still highlighted as available. But moving it to a new location in the project's action list causes it to be recognized as a future action.

Be sure to report bugs using Send Feedback in OF.
Did anyone figure out what the expected behavior is for checking dates? For example, I opened my laptop this morning, and a task set to start today didn't appear.

I toggled the project mode from parallel to sequential and back again, that seemed to kick OF into noticing that the task was now available. That's clearly a hack, as is restarting the app every day.

Is there some other expected behavior? I also tried Cmd-K cleanup and that didn't do it either.

Omni is definitely aware of this issue, I've gotten a friendly message back that checking start dates and updates in general aren't happening smoothly.

In the meantime, I thought I'd take it back to the forums as a challenge here. Has anyone been able to deduce the conditions under which a task will update to re-check it's start date for availability?

Sometimes when I change a start-date by an hour, and then change it back, that's enough to kick it into noticing the task is now current, but sometimes that doesn't seem to do it.

Sometimes switching a project from sequential to parallel will do it, but again, sometimes not.

If anyone has more data on how this is working for them, we might be able to craft an AppleScript to automate the task of forcing an update to dormant tasks, while we wait patiently for the good folks at Omni to get around to exploring this tricky bug.

the closest thing i have to a solution is by moving problematic actions up or down (indenting/outdenting also works).

the real issue is that you have to be viewing all or remaining actions to know that they ought to be available and aren't, and that means having to do a more involved and time consuming morning daily review than i would like.