The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Due button not behaving as expected Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I'm am OmniFocus newb, and have finally dedicated myself to learning this tool to help me get organized and get things done - even though I bought OF last year...

I've got v1.6.1 installed, added a ton of items in the Inbox, then categorized those into various project folders (Home, Work, etc.). Some items are multi-step projects, with others just single step projects.

Here is the problem. When I click the 'Due' button in the toolbar it is not displaying all of the items that are due today, due within the next two days, overdue, etc. Any single-step projects that I have are not appearing, even though they are due today.

I've checked the settings for the project using the inspector, made sure that the due date is set correctly, and even tried setting it to a Single Action item. Still no joy!

If I add an action to it, then it will show up when I click the Due button, but this isn't the way I would expect it to behave. I don't want to create a project with a name like "Take out the trash", then have to create an action inside that project also named "Take out the trash". It just doesn't make any sense to me.

What am I doing wrong?

It sounds like some of your items are projects; the context view only shows actions. (A single-action list is a type of project, for example).

I'd recommend creating a "Miscellaneous" single-action list, then moving those 'single step projects' onto that list. The actions will show up in context view at that point.

Does that help?

Ok, that works. I'm not sure if it makes sense from a workflow perspective as I was expecting projects without associated items to just automatically be treated as single action items. I expect that after I get Single Items Lists created in each of my project folders it should work fine.

Thanks for the speedy reply!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgraff View Post
Ok, that works. I'm not sure if it makes sense from a workflow perspective as I was expecting projects without associated items to just automatically be treated as single action items. I expect that after I get Single Items Lists created in each of my project folders it should work fine.

Thanks for the speedy reply!
That's how I first expected project without actions to work, too. Using the SAL's is kind of confusing at first and not intuitive from a workflow stand point. But eventually you get used to it. But I wouldn't mind having actionless projects behave as you describe. I think that would help workflow... at least for me.

Eric

If I remember correctly, project-less actions are under consideration in some form (at the very least, the ability to add them to folders).

If folks would like to see this added, email the support ninjas and they can attach you to the request.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
If I remember correctly, project-less actions are under consideration in some form (at the very least, the ability to add them to folders).
I'm intrigued by this idea, and I think it's been discussed here before. But I can't remember why it was ultimately decided to store single actions in SALs rather than have them appear at the same level as projects and organize them with folders (just like projects).

What are the advantages/disadvantages of each approach? Any old-timers have any recollection of these discussions or do I just need to go slogging through the archives?

-Dennis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post

If folks would like to see this added, email the support ninjas and they can attach you to the request.
I just wanted to say "Thanks" to all who replied to my call for help. These forums are a wonderful resource to OF users, and I'm sure that I'll be back with more questions once I've had a chance to read through the entire docs.