The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniPlan > OmniPlan General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

No Data Saved *$#!* Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
This has happened to me twice now. I have saved an elaborate plan into my iDisk folder only to come back later and find that it has 0KB and as best as I can tell, completely gone!! Obviously this is a very big problem. I am facing the need to re-create my entire plan. Any help would be welcome.

Do you have iDisk syncing turned on? Can you access your iDisk when you aren't connected to the internet?

Yes to both questions. I write a copy of my iDisk to each of my three computers locally, so there are three copies at any one time – three on computers and one in the clouds. Unfortunately they are all in sync, so none of my computers had the data.

Call me superstitious if you like, and it won't help you immediately in any case, but I've never been willing to trust the iDisk sync feature with the only copy of any important data. I always save a local copy and copy it to the iDisk, whether running with the sync feature or not. That way if something goes bump in the night, I've still got the original. An unsatisifying response to your problem, I agree, but I cannot recall any instances of data loss with OmniPlan writing to a local disk (or directly to the iDisk volume on the Apple servers). As a colleague sagely observed many years ago, "the problem with a program that tries to wipe your nose for you is that it often wipes something else first" :-)

Yeah, ever since we discovered this problem I've kept the local syncing option turned off.

If that option is left on, I would definitely treat the iDisk as a useful transfer point, but I wouldn't let it be the primary location of important documents. Just runs the risk that their sync process gets confused and blows the wrong thing away.

Any chance Time Machine has a copy of the document?