The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > Applying OmniFocus
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Dealing with recurring tasks/recurring projects Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I've been trying to set up a system to deal with recurring projects containing recurring tasks.

I'm seeing two basic ways to organize these kind of projects. You can either repeat the project (using the inspector). Or repeat the tasks within the project. In the first case when the project is completed, one has to select the "complete" status selection and a new project will be create with a future starting and/or due date containing the same tasks.

In the second case, the project will remain permanently incomplete and the tasks will repeat after they are checked off as completed.

Incidentally, I've found that if I repeat both the project and the tasks, I end up with duplicate sets of projects/tasks... one set repeating with the project re-cycling... and the other set repeating after each individual item is checked off. So I've found that it's not a good idea to recur both project itself and the tasks within project.

I've been mainly using the second method (the recurring tasks method) for these projects. What I'm noticing is that the projects constantly stay in view, because a new task appears right away. I've been trying to work more consistently in 'next action' mode, and would like to minimize the amount of distracting projects in my list. Using this method, when I'm in 'next action" status view the projects do not disappear. I suppose that if I use the second method, they would disappear until their start date/time.

I'm wondering in how others use the repeat feature in project and/or task inspector. What is your experience with recurring projects and recurring tasks? What combination of settings do you use and to what effect?

What I have done is set up a generic project with actions that I know will be repeated over and over. Then I copy/paste that project and rename it as needed. I keep several copies because OF iPhone doesn't seem to have an easy way to copy/paste a project. That way if I'm in the hallway and someone says "hey BTW there is another XYX on the schedule" I can rename the generic project on the iPhone to a specific name.

HTH,
in4mation

Thanks in4mation... Do you do the repeat on the project? Or on the tasks? As there would be a different effect with each.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiggles View Post
What is your experience with recurring projects and recurring tasks? What combination of settings do you use and to what effect?
I usually set a sensible start time, so that the action is out of my face until it makes sense for it to be in my face. That broke the recurring action code for me.

I use a wider interval between start and due if the action is more of an option for something that I could do in a certain time range.

I use a narrow interval for more time sensitive recurring actions.

Paul

I've found it helpful to set a start date further out when I know it's a task I might tend to procrastinate about . Taxes has a start date as soon as the data is physically available ; ) Sort of a safety buffer .