The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb Feature Requests
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

A pervasive problem with Omniweb Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I'm a big fan of all Omni products, including Omniweb. I suggest that the most valuable improvement that Omni can make to Omniweb is to speed the darn thing up. I find that when I have more than a few tabs open, Omniweb slows to a crawl. There's a multi-second lag when trying to type individual characters into text boxes within a browser window. There's a significant lag when trying to drag-and-drop open tabs in the tab drawer. There's also a long lag when trying to close a tab. As elegant as Omni is, it is, relatively speaking, not a computationally intensive program, and should perform substantially better than it does. I recently compared Omniweb with Safari and Firefox, and Omniweb is profoundly, dramatically, annoyingly slower than both of them. Instead of adding minor features here or there that might have some marginal value to some users in some circumstances, how about overhauling the software to speed it up, which would have great value to all users in all circumstances? BTW, I'm running Omniweb on a dual-processor 2.7 GHZ PowerMac G5 with 4GB of RAM.

I would expect that this would be obvious, but this isn't "normal" behaviour. It is quite possible that you are experiencing the somewhat notorious JS garbage collection bug in the current version of WebKit that OmniWeb is using. This causes OmniWeb to hog the CPU and slows not just OmniWeb down, but also the entire system. It would be beneficial to run Activity Monitor when you start to experience this slowdown and perform a sample when OmniWeb starts to hog the CPU. Send that in to OmniGroup to see if it is the JS garbage collection bug or not. Next version of OmniWeb when it finally arrives is due to fix this.

Alternatively, if it isn't that bug, it could be a corrupted history log. Try clearing your History (I'd recommend deleting the various History files in ~/Library/Application Support/OmniWeb 5 by hand when the app is closed) to see if that solves your problems.

JKT, you were absolutely correct. Activity monitor revealed that OW had hogged 84%-98% of the CPU and had appropriated 2.9G of virtual memory (compared with 500 MB for each of the individual MS office programs). As is, OW is unusable for me. For example, it took me twenty minutes to type this post because of the lag time. Is there a temporary fix pending the release of the next version of WW? If not, I'm going to have to abandon OW until the next release comes out.

At the moment, the only thing you can do is quit and re-open the browser.

C'monnnnnn OW 5.6!

Not having a fix for the debilitating JS garbage-collection bug described above, I invested some time in customizing Firefox, through its plentiful assortment of add-ons, to suit my needs as a temporary substitute for OW 5.5. I must say that I have been very, very pleasantly surprised by Firefox's comparatively blazing speed—image-intensive pages seem to display several times faster with FF than with OW; ability to replicate all of the OW options that I most value (thumbnail tabs, save workspace, etc.); and nifty little add-ons that provide functionality not offered by OW. I remain a big fan of all things Omni, and encourage its developers to try to replicate FF's speed and niftiest add-ons. One add-on, in particular, is worth considering: "Ctrl Tab Preview." This add-on allows one to hit Command-Option-Tab to display a cyclable list of choosable thumbnails of open tabs, much like Command-Tab allows one to display a cyclable list of choosable thumbnails of open applications. This procedure for choosing tabs is attractive because it doesn't take up screen real estate, and is highly intuitive and comfortable because of its similarity to Command-Tab.

There are some other very nice features of FF that I should like to note. One of them is that web pages generally seem to behave more nicely than they do when I use OW. For example, using FF, when I view my Yahoo stock portfolio with streaming quotes, the quotes update live under FF, but not under OW. In fact, before today, when I had visited that site only using OW, I was not even aware that I was supposed to be getting live updates. I'm not sure why this is, but I would urge the OW developers to address this kind of issue. Thanks...p

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterhi
There are some other very nice features of FF that I should like to note. One of them is that web pages generally seem to behave more nicely than they do when I use OW. For example, using FF, when I view my Yahoo stock portfolio with streaming quotes, the quotes update live under FF, but not under OW. In fact, before today, when I had visited that site only using OW, I was not even aware that I was supposed to be getting live updates. I'm not sure why this is, but I would urge the OW developers to address this kind of issue. Thanks...p
Yes, if possible I would greatly appreciate this as well. Google may be the most annoying; by chance I was using a third-party application (GMail Reader, which ceased to work with the 10.4.9 update) and noticed that I could choose "select all" to get rid of gobs of spam. In OW, those options aren't rendered.