The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

OmniFocus won't launch! Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
No, I'm not able to do that, cause OmniFocus crashes before it finishs opening up.

Given that it has caused problems in other apps, by chance have you installed the Safari 4 beta recently? If so, what happens if you revert to Safari 3 (the beta installer has an uninstaller to do this)?

It probably isn't related, but just in case...

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimus prime minister View Post
No, I'm not able to do that, cause OmniFocus crashes before it finishs opening up.
I'm confused - how does that prevent you from making a fresh user account on your computer and copying the OmniFocus database over?

Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
I'm confused - how does that prevent you from making a fresh user account on your computer and copying the OmniFocus database over?
Ohh. Hm.

Yeah, I'll give this a go. Still, don't want to be switching user accounts all the while just to check OF.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKT View Post
Given that it has caused problems in other apps, by chance have you installed the Safari 4 beta recently? If so, what happens if you revert to Safari 3 (the beta installer has an uninstaller to do this)?

It probably isn't related, but just in case...
I actually already uninstalled Safari 4 beta, just in case that was it. No change...

Optimus, sorry for the confusion here. I checked the status of your problem in our trouble ticket system; it looks like one of the support ninjas asked for any information relating to OmniFocus that appears in your console log a couple days back, and that's the last email that was exchanged.

(If you already sent a response, it was either from a different email address than your forum account is associated with and got assigned to a different ticket in the system, or it failed to reach us for some other reason.)

Can you let us know what other email address to search for, or re-send the console information? Once the support ninjas have that, they can consult with the development team and try to figure out what's going on here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimus prime minister View Post
Ohh. Hm.

Yeah, I'll give this a go. Still, don't want to be switching user accounts all the while just to check OF.
It's a troubleshooting tactic, to help determine if the problem is a computer-wide issue (for example, OmniFocus app is corrupted somehow) or an issue tied to that specific user (for example, OmniFocus preferences file is corrupted). I agree that having to switch users just to use the app on a regular basis would not be acceptable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
I agree that having to switch users just to use the app on a regular basis would not be acceptable.
@Optimus: And I don't think anyone seriously suggested running OmniFocus under a different user full-time; that would be a serious PITA. But such a troubleshooting tactic might help determine the cause, or where to start looking for a cause.

There's no reason you shouldn't be able to enjoy using OmniFocus in your regular user account without it crashing, just like the rest of us. :-) I'm quite certain somebody (probably the ninjas) will get to the bottom of this for you. I can't remember the last OmniFocus crashed on my system.

-Dennis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
Optimus, sorry for the confusion here. I checked the status of your problem in our trouble ticket system; it looks like one of the support ninjas asked for any information relating to OmniFocus that appears in your console log a couple days back, and that's the last email that was exchanged.

(If you already sent a response, it was either from a different email address than your forum account is associated with and got assigned to a different ticket in the system, or it failed to reach us for some other reason.)

Can you let us know what other email address to search for, or re-send the console information? Once the support ninjas have that, they can consult with the development team and try to figure out what's going on here.
Weird! Here's the message as I sent it (with my email address edited to reduce spammage)

Quote:
Date: March 2, 2009 7:18:06 PM GMT-05:00
To: OmniFocus Support <omnifocus@omnigroup.com>
Subject: Re: [OG #412472] OmniFocus Support - OF won't launch, just crashes

Thanks for your response!
Here's the Console log. Didn't know about this app!
--

02/03/09 5:32:10 PM net.infinite-labs.PlugSuit.Agent[381] Could not access task for pid 430. You probably need to add user to procmod group
02/03/09 5:32:30 PM OmniFocus[434] Prerelease build expires in 118.762 hours
02/03/09 5:32:30 PM OmniFocus[434] *** -[OAFindController action]: unrecognized selector sent to instance 0x7d9c70
02/03/09 5:32:31 PM OmniFocus[434] Exception raised:
---------------------------
Mask: 0x00000040
Name: NSInvalidArgumentException
Reason: *** -[OAFindController action]: unrecognized selector sent to instance 0x7d9c70
Stack Trace:
NSExceptionHandlerExceptionRaiser (in ExceptionHandling)
objc_exception_throw (in libobjc.A.dylib)
-[NSObject doesNotRecognizeSelector:] (in CoreFoundation)
___forwarding___ (in CoreFoundation)
_CF_forwarding_prep_0 (in CoreFoundation)
Li_CopySelectorFromMenuItem (in Menu Master)
LiPrefs_CopyCustomizationsForMenuItemInternal (in Menu Master)
LiPrefs_CopyCustomizationsForMenuItem (in Menu Master)
Li_ChangeMenuItemAttributes (in Menu Master)
AdjustCarbonMenuItem (in AppKit)
AddCarbonMenuItem (in AppKit)
CreateCarbonMenu (in AppKit)
_NSGetRootCarbonMenu2 (in AppKit)
_NSAddMenuBarItems (in AppKit)
-[NSApplication finishLaunching] (in AppKit)
-[OAApplication finishLaunching] (in OmniAppKit)
-[NSApplication run] (in AppKit)
-[OAApplication run] (in OmniAppKit)
NSApplicationMain (in AppKit)
_start (in OmniFocus)
start (in OmniFocus)
0x2

02/03/09 5:32:31 PM OmniFocus[434] Exception raised:
Mask: 0x00000040
Reason: *** -[OAFindController action]: unrecognized selector sent to instance 0x7d9c70
Stack Trace:
NSExceptionHandlerExceptionRaiser (in ExceptionHandling)
_start (in OmniFocus)
start (in OmniFocus)
0x2

02/03/09 5:32:31 PM OmniFocus[434] Crashing with report:
Exception raised:
Mask: 0x00000001
Info:
{
NSStackTraceKey = "0x5c919a 0x91fbae3b 0x9064b30a 0x9064990c 0x906499d2 0x11ac91d5 0x11ad0569 0x11ad1d7c 0x11aca618 0x921008f9 0x9210028f 0x920ffedd 0x92101918 0x92100a02 0x9210028f 0x920ffedd 0x920ff9fb 0x920feaad 0x1489ae 0x920fe3a3 0x148b3b 0x920cb8a4 0x28f2 0x2819 0x2";
}
Backtrace:NSExceptionHandlerExceptionRaiser (in ExceptionHandling)
_start (in OmniFocus)
start (in OmniFocus)
0x2

02/03/09 5:32:31 PM [0x0-0x4c04c].com.omnigroup.OmniFocus[434] exception = 0x00000001, crashedThreadStackPointer = 0xbffff818, code = 0x00000002;0x00000000;
02/03/09 5:32:31 PM [0x0-0x4c04c].com.omnigroup.OmniFocus[434] exception = 0x00000001, crashedThreadStackPointer = 0xbffff818, code = 0x00000002;0x00000000;
02/03/09 5:32:31 PM [0x0-0x4c04c].com.omnigroup.OmniFocus[434] Starting '/Applications/OmniFocus.app/Contents/Resources/OmniGroupCrashCatcher.app/Contents/MacOS/OmniGroupCrashCatcher' for pid 434.
02/03/09 5:32:32 PM net.infinite-labs.PlugSuit.Agent[381] Could not access task for pid 437. You probably need to add user to procmod group

Sorry, Toadling, I originally misunderstood your suggestion.

Just logged in as a different Mac OS user account and started up OF. Loaded up just fine (minus my library etc.)