The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus Syncing > Other WebDAV
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Sync fails after initial sync on Windows Server 2008 [Server Bug] Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
After the initital sync in which the Omnifocus.ofocus directory is created on the webDAV server (running under windows Server 2008) and the file
k3kUonmDeZj.client is written to the directory, subsequent sync operations fail with "unable to read document. No root transactions found in "OmniFocus.ofocus" Cancel / Retry. All retries yield the same result. Renaming the folder Omnifocus.ofocus and trying the sync operation will write the folder and xml file again, but subsequent sync still yields the same error message.

I have the iPhone 3G and purchased Omnifocus through the AppStore yesterday. I do not have a Mac, and I do not want to rely solely on the iPhone backup for saving my Omnifocus database. The Windows server is my own and under my control. There's 600 Mb of space remaining on the webDAV harddisk on the server. WebDAV appears to be working correctly so what can I do to sync with webDAV?

Last edited by Shortie; 2008-07-28 at 10:31 AM..

There's several different implementations of WebDAV out there, and some of them are more "well-behaved" than others. If that k3kUonmDeZj.client file is the only file in OmniFocus.ofocus, then it sounds like your WebDAV can't handle file names with '+' and '=' in them. If so, you should consider either running a different implementation of WebDAV on your Windows server, or maybe consider using one of the WebDAV servers that other users on the forums have had success with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizard View Post
There's several different implementations of WebDAV out there, and some of them are more "well-behaved" than others. If that k3kUonmDeZj.client file is the only file in OmniFocus.ofocus, then it sounds like your WebDAV can't handle file names with '+' and '=' in them. If so, you should consider either running a different implementation of WebDAV on your Windows server, or maybe consider using one of the WebDAV servers that other users on the forums have had success with.
Lizard-

Thanks for the quick response. It appears that this webDAV handles equal signs fine but not plus signs in file names. Is it really necessary for Omniphone to use such characters in the file names it creates? As far as I know and see via Google search the native webDAV extension for Windows Server 2008 is the only webDAV implimentation for that OS. I own the hardware and OS for that server. It's in my home. It doesn't cost me anything. It's accessible from anywhere on the internet. Why would I want to be reliant on someone else and use someone else's server? I know that OmniFocuus is Apple-centric but your website says that it syncs with generic webDAV servers and "plays well" with Windows PCs. Is the method that generates database file names configureable? Perhaps a setting in an xml file?

Thanks for anything that will get it working on my server.

Shortie

I understand your desire to use your own server. The plus sign is supposed to be a legal character in file names and works fine on a number of other WebDAV implementations. That being said, I've filed a bug to see if we can adapt our file format to play nicely with Windows Server 2008 as well.

Lizard, Thank you for filing the "bug" report. I understand that's it's not really a bug in OmniFocus, but if there's no real need to use those special characters then maybe that's a good thing to "fix."

Shortie

Seems this is a bug with WebDAV in IIS 7 (It's supposed to convert plus signs into spaces, which was working for GET but not for PUT), and a fix has been released by Microsoft.

For more information: http://forums.iis.net/t/1152289.aspx
To get the Hot Fix: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957001

Last edited by radreck; 2009-07-16 at 09:25 AM..