The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniGraffle > OmniGraffle General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Move Canvas Palette to Right? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Just upgraded to 5 - can't figure out how to move the Canvas palette from it's default on the left to the right. It's driving me insane.

Tried searching, but couldn't find anything.

Thanks!

OG4. Try holding the Option key down, then click the Drawer icon in the Toolbar. Repeat to to switch sides again. I do not think that changed in OG5.

OG will remember where you placed the Drawer.

It may help to read my posts in this thread (search for Option), to get a handle on the concept of a command Modifier, the Option key ... and what you can expect from the intuitive interface (the Apple Standard and the Omni implementation thereof). As in, get more out of OG.

Cheers

Thanks. In 5, Option + Canvases Icon just appears to close the drawer, not move it to the left.

OG5 has a sidebar, not a drawer. I've never seen any indication it can be moved to the other side, and don't recall encountering any other apps with sidebars that offer the option (though I haven't been searching, either). The support ninjas would be able to give a definitive answer, however, so ask them (with Help->Send Feedback).

Drawers are part of the Cocoa toolbox, but starting in OS 10.4, they began to be replaced by the in-window split view "sidebar". (Mail used to show your mailboxes in a drawer, for example, but moved it inside the frame of the window at some point.)

The bits of Cocoa that support drawers includes the code that lets them exist on either side of the window and be made wider/narrower independently of the rest of the window. Apps that want to do the same thing for a sidebar need to write their own code.

This is a feature request, in other words, to make the sidebars behave more like drawers. :-)

Email the support ninjas so they know you'd like to see this added. Thanks!

Last edited by Brian; 2010-10-19 at 03:36 PM.. Reason: "write add those features" makes no sense. :-)

In OmniGraffle 5, we've moved to sidebars for the Canvas and Outline views. While the sidebars can be resized, hidden, and you can display both the canvas and outline sidebars simultaneously, they can't be moved to the right of the main window.

I’ve filed a new request for this based upon your earlier email to us. Thanks!

Ok, so it is a sidebar in OG5, not a drawer.

In that case, I would have to agree, all apps that provide sidebars, place them on the left only, and they do not provide an option of placing them on the right. Therefore I would not vote for a FR to obtain this, it would break the spirit of the intuitive interface (it would result in one app operating in reverse to all other apps).