The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPhone
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

OmniFocus for Android [Very unlikely; certainly no plans in foreseeable future.] Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I'm sure that Omni Group are intelligent enough to know if they are spreading their resources too thinly.

As I have said before, even just adding sync capability with something like Remember The Milk or Google Tasks when the API is released would be helpful, so that other task managers on this platform can be used. At the moment I have zero sync ability.

niels, have you even used a droid phone? Spoken to anyone who's used one? I can assure you that it is not DOA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robrecord View Post
niels, have you even used a droid phone? Spoken to anyone who's used one? I can assure you that it is not DOA.
I've been in the mobile application development space for a long time & have owned multiple mobile devices at the same time. I used to do a lot of J2ME development & can tell you that a fragmented platform makes developing anything more than the most trivial of apps difficult & expensive. We didn't bother with Windows mobile or native Symbian for the same reason.

I've played with the Droid & other Android devices. While it's far better than many of the J2ME (typically Symbian) or Windows Mobile devices out there, it still comes up short to the iPhone OS both as a consumer and a developer. But I stand by my statement... the sales numbers just don't show Android as a viable platform. That doesn't mean it can't change, but if after a few generations and on multiple carriers, they still can't meet 1/10 the first gen sales of the iPhone on a single carrier, how likely is it?

When you also figure the iPhone OS is now not only the iPhone but also the iPod touch, it's a huge market, that is continuing to grow at rates far outpacing Android or even last year's "iPhone Killer", the Palm Pre. If you look closely, the growth rate of the iPhone OS (both phone & iPod) is nearly enough to wipe out all Android sales, thus why I said DOA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfredara View Post
I heard from someone that you have to get the internet in order to use the android market.
This isn't a forum for discussing android devices - there are plenty of others that deal with that. However, all your assumptions are correct.

The only thing stopping me from switching to the android platform is the lack of an omnifocus application. I was wondering, have you guys have considered developing for android phones?

A search of the OmniFocus forums for Android turns up these threads. Although it is an older post, one thread in particular includes an official response from The Omni Group.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
Asking about support for alternate platforms is quite legitimate (although the forums are not a great place to get an answer as this isn't an official support mechanism).

We don't currently have any plans for an Android version of OmniFocus. We do not have expertise in the Android platform, nor do we have any great internal need for or interest in it, or even many requests for it, and it has yet to prove itself either technically or in the market, so as you can see it has a fairly high burden before we would consider developing for it.

Anyone interested in getting OmniFocus on Android (or any other platform) should register their interest with us. Since our forums are primarily for the community rather than an official support conduit, this may be a good place to gauge community interest, but it's not a good place to make a request. I suggest that you email our support team ("Send Feedback" from the Help menu if you have OmniFocus, otherwise see the OmniFocus web pages for the support email address) to register your request.
Although Android is definitely not at the same level of market penetration as the iPhone (although strict data usage isn't a true measure of market share, after a 7% jump last November it was still only at about half of the iPhone OS I would actually argue that measure is biased towards the iPhone because it is only the US market and the fact that the App store is more fully developed than the Android Market, so of course iPhone users will use more data) it is definitely a growing market, and growing faster than the iPhone's market share. I personally am stuck with the Verizon network (but when my boss foots the phone bill I can't complain) so the iPhone isn't an option for me. I use a Droid Eris and love it, but it is definitely still only for power users. It just takes too much time and playing around with it just to get set up and customized properly that your average user will just get frustrated and turn to their old feature phone or a blackberry, in my opinion.

I have thought about getting an iPod Touch, I don't want to give in just because a few developers (ones that I really care about and whose applications I would love to integrate into my routine, but still not that many) still ignore the Android platform. Android is also so flexible that there is no excuse for not having any application at least sync with an appropriate web service, and every web app I have encountered works well with Android (even Android 1.5) and my Droid Eris. I love what OF has done to my productivity and work routine, but I don't have any way of syncing it to my portable devices (besides my hackintosh netbook, but I like to avoid carrying a backpack when I can) even though there are so many options!

For your average android user, OF could sync with Android if you made it sync with Remember the Milk, Google Tasks, Astrid (an Android to do list that can sync with RTM), or if someone figured out how to sync Google Tasks with iCal tasks. I hope your new job position is evidence that you guys are working on something like this!

I sent an email to them, but I just want to post it here too. An app for Android would be SO SWEET. It stinks so bad that it only works with iphone.

It's money i would quickly pay to Omnigroup if they made an app.

Perhaps Remember The Milk might fancy adding support for syncing with OmniFocus documents? Although the lack of 'projects' available in their task architecture might make it hard.

As far as syncing with an android app is concerned, the best contenders I can see are Astrid (although lacks projects) and Shuffle (not quite as polished).

Unless of course, Omni Group release their own app.

The solution for this is to find another means to do your GTD'ing while on the Android phone w/o getting rid of OF on your Mac.

I live daily using OF on my Mac and when I had my iPod Touch w/ the OF app I would make sure to sync before heading out the door every morning, whenever I had wifi and always at night when I got home. It worked out perfectly, primarilly because the OF Mac application is soooo perfect. But the OF iPhone app is just okay.

I'll be getting an android phone is less than 2 weeks and am already searching for ways to keep using OF on my Mac, but have is sync to something online such as Toodle-Do or RTM. Then access it on the Andriod phone I end up choosing.

Did someone mention here on the thread Things is coming out for Android? This may be enough to make me switch just cause of syncing, though I do enjoy OF and have someday/maybes on it that have start dates in 2011.