The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb Bug Reports
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

CSS handling problem with Pootle Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi all :)

Pootle is an online distributed translation tool, very popular and widely used. I have been unable to use it much in Omniweb because OW doesn't seem to support some CSS features needed (1) to display and manage horizontal scrollbars for long strings and (2) to display whitespace indicators.

Please see this screenshot for an idea of problem 1. You need to register with a Pootle to use it, so I can't just point you to a live page.

http://www.riverland.net.au/~clytie/...ide_string.png

In the case of a wide string, like the one in the screenshot, Omniweb should follow instructions and display the string in a separate pane/frame, with a horizontal scrollbar, so the page still fits on the screen, and the input field isn't munged with the terminology pane on the RHS.

I've also saved the source from a page replete with scrollbarred strings from Camino (note: it doesn't handle them well: they tend to end up obscuring the actual strings, but at least they are there):

http://www.riverland.net.au/~clytie/...crollbars.html

The Pootle devs say the CSS feature required to do this is "overflow: auto".

I can't illustrate problem 2 easily with a screenshot: where there is whitespace before or after a string, or double-spaces inside a string, Omniweb should follow instructions and display a grey underline across each extra space. Camino does.

The Pootle devs say:

Quote:
For the spaces in translations, the following features are used:
border-bottom: 1px solid #BBB;
margin: 0em 0.2em 0em 0.2em;
padding: 0em 0.2em 0em 0.2em;
width: 0px;
letter-spacing: -0.5em;

My first guess is that it might be non-support for letter-spacing, but
it is really just a guess.
I would really like this one solved, because I spend a LOT of time working in Pootle, and that means switching to Camino. I'd rather work in Omniweb.

I don't know what they're doing at Pootle, but OW does indeed support overflow:auto.