The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Omniweb 5.7 SPs/Beta Maxing out CPU Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
contact our support ninjas, please, so we can gather more information about what's going on.
omniweb@omnigroup.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
If closing the window didn't free up the memory, I'm less sure of what's going on. I think that the OS X memory system only frees up memory when another application asks for it. So if we're using half of your memory, we'll hang onto that half until something asks us to free it up.

However, I'm quickly getting out of my depth here, so should shut up and let someone more qualified respond. :)
CPU Processing, not Memory ;-)

hmm you know what, I have a feeling this may be something to do with SpeedDownload.

I'll update the thread if I can confirm this.

I notice that with OW, when a download is passed to SpeedDownload, OW doesn't always shut down it's own download process ... the main culprit I'm aware of being extremesims when I'm downloading an OmniGroup app! I don't know if the problem is with extremesims or OW, and I'm not geeky enough to know how to set about finding out. Next time I'll try the other download site and see if that closes its process or not.

I wonder if this is part of the problem revs is talking about.

Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest View Post
Here's an example:
http://www.thisisgoingtobebig.com/20...1-saving-.html

With that page open, Safari sucks up an extra 50-60%. Close it, it goes back down. Open it back up, it goes back up. You may have to scroll down a bit to get it to do it. Same thing in OW and Firefox.
If it is same thing in both browsers having nothing to do with eachother, a plugin (most likely flash) is responsible IMHO.

Greetings all, I have been experiencing the CPU throttling issue as well. The fix I have found thus far and was alluded to above in this thread was to disable the Speed Download 5 plugin. I disabled the plugin via preferences > Plug-Ins, downloaded a few files, and engaged in general surfing and have had no CPU issues.

I had the same problem, and it turned out to be related to SpeedDownload, the browser plugin of which causes OmniWeb to go nuts on the CPU. If you're using SpeedDownload, disable it for OmniWeb and see if that helps. You can still drag links to the little floater window.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xiamenese View Post
I notice that with OW, when a download is passed to SpeedDownload, OW doesn't always shut down it's own download process ... the main culprit I'm aware of being extremesims when I'm downloading an OmniGroup app! I don't know if the problem is with extremesims or OW, and I'm not geeky enough to know how to set about finding out. Next time I'll try the other download site and see if that closes its process or not.

I wonder if this is part of the problem revs is talking about.

Mark
I can tell you it's not extremesims. :) I will tell you that a lot of those "speed download" programs are very very poorly written, and don't properly close sockets when done. A proper browser (like OW) and a good webserver will do just fine without a silly "downloader" program.

Some of us need "silly" downloader programs. Nothing worse than quitting your webbrowser, not getting a warning, and losing downloads that are part done.. *cough*omniweb*cough*

Also, being able to schedule downloads is also a needed option for some.

The problem, as far as I can tell, at least on my machine, is not that Speed Download doesn't close it's sockets, it's that the combination of OW and extremesims doesn't close that socket when it passes the download over to SD. I haven't noticed this with any other server. Like Revs, I need SD, and it is much, much faster than OW, or Safari, or Opera ...

"Silly"? From a programmer's point of view, I don't know. "Poorly written"? Again I don't know, but I won't pass your comment over to Yazsoft ... I don't play those games. But from my point of view, over the years, SD has proved almost indispensable.

Mark