The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPad
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

 
Does iPad Version have "Expand All"? [A: Tap/Hold on the disclosure triangle.] Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
The iPhone version of Omnifocus has an All Actions view that shows all the actions available, separated by bars with the project name. The iPad has a similar view, but all the actions which are in folders or in projects are not visible until I open the folder or project, which is a lot of poking. Is there a way get the iPad version to display all actions with the folders and containing projects open?
 
Happy to help, Eustace!

If you tap and hold on the disclosure triangle at the right end of a folder or project, a contextual menu with "Expand All" and "Collapse All" options will appear. Does that help?
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eustace Tilley View Post
The iPhone version of Omnifocus has an All Actions view that shows all the actions available, separated by bars with the project name. The iPad has a similar view, but all the actions which are in folders or in projects are not visible until I open the folder or project, which is a lot of poking. Is there a way get the iPad version to display all actions with the folders and containing projects open?
Unfortunately, the iPad version does NOT display items the same way that either the Mac or iPhone versions display items. I own all three.

It's as if Omni hired 3 separate groups of interface designers and came up with 3 completely different interfaces for ostensibly the exact same application!

I have projects with many folders nested inside other folders. On the iPad, once you get beyond the top Project level of the hierarchy, the entire hierarchy is FLAT! So, a project with dozens or more items forces me to scroll down through the ENTIRE list.

It's really pretty dreadful and limits the usefulness of OmniFocus on the iPad. I have several major interface complaints, but this is so glaringly fundamental it's ridiculous.

What outliner software does NOT allow you to collapse lists of hierarchical items?

Because of this, I loathe using the iPad version of OmniFocus! I work on the Mac or iPod touch version and sync everything to the iPad.
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Reeee View Post
Unfortunately, the iPad version does NOT display items the same way that either the Mac or iPhone versions display items. I own all three.

It's as if Omni hired 3 separate groups of interface designers and came up with 3 completely different interfaces for ostensibly the exact same application!
Next time you have all three devices handy, put them side by side and take a close look. You'll notice that they are three very different devices. The best interface for any one of them is not going to be the best interface for the other two. You may also notice that they are not the exact same application, but rather a moving target, with each new version incorporating lessons learned from the previous ones.

You might also notice that Apple has done the same with their software. Mail on the Mac is different from Mail on the iPhone which is different from Mail on the iPad. Each is tailored to the abilities of the device on which it runs.
Quote:

I have projects with many folders nested inside other folders.
Not quite sure what you are trying to say here; folders can contain folders and projects, but projects do not contain folders.
Quote:
On the iPad, once you get beyond the top Project level of the hierarchy, the entire hierarchy is FLAT!
No, it isn't.









The iPad app renders the most accurate depiction of the hierarchy!
Quote:
So, a project with dozens or more items forces me to scroll down through the ENTIRE list.
Now, if you are trying to say that you are unhappy that you cannot collapse an action group (such as you see in Project 2), I would agree that the iPad app does not allow you to do that, but that is also true of the iPhone app. If you are instead complaining that you always have to watch all the actions in a project scroll by, that is incorrect; as I show with Project 1 in my example, individual projects and folders can be collapsed. Just tap the folder or triangle at the upper right to expand or collapse, or tap and hold to get the expand all/collapse all popup which will act on everything in the current scope.
Quote:
It's really pretty dreadful and limits the usefulness of OmniFocus on the iPad. I have several major interface complaints, but this is so glaringly fundamental it's ridiculous.
Don't be shy, let's hear the other major interface complaints.

Have you considered changing your view mode to show Available items instead of Remaining or All when you are leafing through these lengthy projects full of actions you apparently don't want to see?
Quote:
What outliner software does NOT allow you to collapse lists of hierarchical items?

Because of this, I loathe using the iPad version of OmniFocus! I work on the Mac or iPod touch version and sync everything to the iPad.
A single flick of my finger advances the display by about 30 rows. It would take longer to collapse the action group and update the display than to scroll past it.

I still don't understand what part of your iPad complaint is addressed by using the iPod touch!
 
 


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Please revert change that now shows On Hold project items as "Remaining" ryanwaggoner OmniFocus 1 for Mac 11 2011-07-14 04:08 PM
One more time "Waiting For" / "On Hold" offline81 Applying OmniFocus 9 2010-03-29 10:42 AM
Shortcut Key for "Expand Note" EFaden OmniFocus 1 for Mac 0 2009-09-25 11:33 AM
Feature request: "On hold" status of individual items jhogan OmniFocus 1 for Mac 30 2008-11-15 08:49 AM
How does OF for iPhone handle "Someday/Maybes" and "On Hold"? JRArseneau OmniFocus for iPhone 12 2008-08-04 05:56 PM


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 06:31 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.