The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPad
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Animation bug? [A: intended behavior, not a bug.] Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I was just quickly scrolling through my projects, and something didn't seem right. I wasn't sure what.

I moved slowly, and carefully, and then I realized it:
As you scroll, a list will scroll up off the top of the screen. The next list has a section header. The section header "sticks" to the top as the list of items collapse "into" the section header.

The problem is, the section header freezes in place before the item above it has scrolled off the screen.

Let's say I have two projects, "Foo" and "Bar." Foo is first. I scroll up, and Foo gets smaller and smaller until it has no visible items. The header "Foo" is stationary until it has zero visible items, then Foo starts to scroll up.

At this point, Bar is moving as well, in perfect fluid motion.

Now, Bar's header freezes in place, and the items inside bar are moving. However, the bug is that the Bar header freezes while the bottom of Foo is still visible.

So, you have a scrolling list, and all of a sudden one part of it in the middle freezes.

Anybody else notice this? And now that I pointed it out, will it bug you? :)

It doesn't bug me, I see it as a nice UI feature so you always know which project you're looking at.

I do think there's a mismatch in that projects in a folder do not behave the same (and I'm gonna email the Ninjas to ask them to add it inside a folder also)

If what I'm seeing is what you are seeing, I would say that isn't an animation bug at all, but merely an artifact of the chosen spacing between the top of a project header and the toolbar. If the spacing got smaller (or the spacing between the bottom of a project and the top of the next got larger), it wouldn't appear because the new project's header would still be moving into position as the old one disappeared off the screen.

If you scroll to the very top of your projects, you'll see that the top of the item at the top of the list doesn't touch the bottom of the toolbar: it's got a little bit of breathing room.

While you're scrolling, the headers will stop in that same spot - until the next item gets within a certain distance. Then they yield that spot to the next item and scroll off the top of the screen.

Behaving as intended, in other words. :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
There is a mismatch though between the way projects scroll in general, and how they behave in Folders. The Folder stays at the top of the screen, but the project header disappears while some of it's actions are still viewable.

If this is as intended then it's as intended, but the two different behaviours have no consistency.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
If you scroll to the very top of your projects, you'll see that the top of the item at the top of the list doesn't touch the bottom of the toolbar: it's got a little bit of breathing room.

While you're scrolling, the headers will stop in that same spot - until the next item gets within a certain distance. Then they yield that spot to the next item and scroll off the top of the screen.

I need to do a video or something, to make sure that I've conveyed things properly.

I agree completely with what you've said..however, the spacing is the "problem":

The space from the top-most header to toolbar is greater than the space between headers. This causes some visual artifacts:

One header is already halfway off the top of the screen, another header is about to "stick".
At this point, everything on screen is moving up and down, tracking your finger position. So far so good.

When the next tab "sticks", it sticks *too early*: The tab above it is still visible. Essentially, the tab freezes in the middle of a moving pane rather than at the top.

Now, it's only when scrolling up and down quickly that I even noticed it- scrolling at normal speeds my eyes weren't trying to track motion so it looked fine. At high speeds, having something stop suddenly where you weren't expecting it to - in the middle rather than at an end - was a bit distracting.