The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Omniweb and Pictures Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
hi,

i use OW for about 2 weeks now and i miss one special feature from safari, the browser i used before. is it possible to activate the feature to drag a picture from a website to the desktop? i only found it in the kontextual menue, thats a bit uncomfortble, i would like to take it and drop it to the desktop or to the iphoto icon in the dock.

anyway, omniweb is a great browser, but would be even better with this feature :)

(please excuse me for this faulty english, i am from germany)

Last edited by .mac; 2006-11-17 at 03:31 PM..

Shift-drag it (that is, press the shift key then drag the image).

Great, it works, thank you. But when i try so save your avatar (for example) to desktop, i only get a .php file. anyway, it works with pictures without a link behind it, thats very fine.

Hold shift before you start dragging, then you will get the image.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKT
Hold shift before you start dragging, then you will get the image.
This doesn't work for the avitars - only the file gets copied

Hmm, if you force Preview to open the .php file for the avatar, it will open it and Get Info shows it to be a .gif

Graphic Converter will open it to.

Seems to be some issue with the way OmniWeb is copying the file to the clipboard (or the way the Finder is identifying it when dropped).

FWIW, you can also ctrl/right-click the image and select one of the [Image>Download Image options as a workaround. This will initially download a .php file but it quickly gets re-identified as a .gif file.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKT
Hmm, if you force Preview to open the .php file for the avatar, it will open it and Get Info shows it to be a .gif

Graphic Converter will open it to.

Seems to be some issue with the way OmniWeb is copying the file to the clipboard (or the way the Finder is identifying it when dropped).

FWIW, you can also ctrl/right-click the image and select one of the [Image>Download Image options as a workaround. This will initially download a .php file but it quickly gets re-identified as a .gif file.
Copying the avatar image to clipboard or downloading it as you describe does work (though cumbersome). Dragging it to the desktop as an image was the original request. If you attempt this with OW, the "avatar" drags as "member.php.weblock" which is an HTML, not an image, file (points to the member's info page). OTOH, dragging it from Safari to desktop brings an "image.php.gif" which can be opened by Preview, but doesn't directly bring the image to the desktop. (Camino 1.1a1 drags a file named "image.gif" which can't be opened with Preview?!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mshalperin
If you attempt this with OW, the "avatar" drags as "member.php.weblock" which is an HTML, not an image, file (points to the member's info page).
Dragging images that have URLs assigned to them has always dragged the URL in OmniWeb (historical thing, another thread complaining about it, I'd prefer it to drag the image rather than URL as would others, but that's the way it is unless OmniGroup change their minds in the future). Shift-dragging the avatar does actually copy the image file to the desktop but, in this instance, it incorrectly labels it as a .php file. If you force Preview to open the .php file (command-option drag it to the Preview icon and drop it), it will load, and get info will show that it is a .gif. If you relabel it with .gif on the end it converts it to the correct file format. If you download or copy the image, it is correctly identified and labelled as a .gif.

Therefore, it seems that there is a bug in the way OmniWeb is handling the shift-drag of these particular image files because, normally, it just works™.

Incidentally, if you shift drag the Omni logo at the top of the page, it is correctly identified as a .gif when you drop it on your desktop, even though it also has an URL assigned to it.

That's probably the case because the Omni logo is a file on the server and it's URL ends with .gif. The avatar is provided by a php-script, though, so the URL ends with somehting.php. So OW probably simply doesn't double-chek if the MIME type provided by the server fits the URL and just uses the URL name.