The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPad
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Text Expander Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I can't make specific product or scheduling promises, but I can tell you that it is one of the more frequent feature requests against both the iPhone and iPad apps. Likely to show up, but I couldn't tell you exactly when.

Between our uncompleted iOS apps, the Mac App Store stuff, and whatever other curveball the next 12 months throw at us, I'm beginning to accept the fact that "juggling multiple projects" is the new normal! :-)

(In the meantime, please don't interpret this post to mean that folks don't need to send in requests. Emailing the support ninjas is always helpful to us, even for popular requests.)

I use TextExpander for one real simple thing in OF for Mac - entering dates in the notes field.

I keep extensive notes in OF for my task and project items and have the simple shortcut '.dd' followed by a space enter the text '09 Dec - '. That way I can start typing immediately without having to think about the date entry.

Really useful.

I use the same short cut in iOS apps that support TextExpander. Integration in to OF for iOS would be a real obvious step and from the number of times this is requested something a proportion of your users want.

I've already sent the ninjas my request on this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by acetuk View Post
I use TextExpander for one real simple thing in OF for Mac - entering dates in the notes field.

I keep extensive notes in OF for my task and project items and have the simple shortcut '.dd' followed by a space enter the text '09 Dec - '. That way I can start typing immediately without having to think about the date entry.

Really useful.

I use the same short cut in iOS apps that support TextExpander. Integration in to OF for iOS would be a real obvious step and from the number of times this is requested something a proportion of your users want.

I've already sent the ninjas my request on this.
I do the same thing and it is indispensable to me. I am dying for this to finally be adopted into OF for iPad d and iPhone. Hopefully soon.

Just sent a follow up request to the ninja's on this. Bumping here as well.

I am still desperate for this to be added to both the iPad and the iPhone.

I'm actually kind of shocked that it isnt already something that Omni is using. Seems like a no brainier to me really.

+1 for TE support in OF. I have to say I use Typinator more on the Mac side (it's faster and works reliably to enter OmniFocus URLs in Quicksilver).

Listening to Merlin these days, he has said that the first thing he does with a new iPad or iPhone app is to see if it works with TE. If not, it's buh-bye.

What about now using the built in text replacement in IOS? I know it doesn't have all the features that textexpander has, but if you're using abbreviations for just a few statements then it will probably suffice.

One reason for using TE over the iOS built in expansion is you can share snippet sets. This gives you consistency and saves having to manage the expansions manually.

Omni sadly has always appeared to persue an isolationist policy and looks unlikely to ever integrate or support third-party apps. OF doesn't even take advantage of core iOS functions that facilitate any form of communication or sharing, features that today are essential. The OmniFolk post: "it's a popular request", "it'll be done shortly", etc., but year-after-year goes by and nothing ever happens. The OF suite has IMHO become a hugely outdated mish-mash that is becoming relevant only to those who have an interest in historical GTD systems. It's a real shame.