The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniPlan > OmniPlan General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Automatic leveling of staff groups Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi,

I've been using OP for a while but recently ran into a problem.

In short, I want OP to prioritise dividing tasks between group members, instead of putting all members on every task.

Let's say I have a group of tasks without any dependencies or prerequisites:

T1
T2

Each task takes 12 days to complete at 100% effort.

For resources, I have a group of 4 members:

M1
M2
M3
M4

Each member has an effort of 100%, which gives the group an effort of 400%

Now, I've tried two things:

I assign the group to the group of tasks and level. Since by default only 100% effort will be assigned, the plan will now look like this:

T1 (M1)
T2 (M2)

Thus, M3 and M4 will not be used.

I assign the group to the group of tasks. I change the effort of the group to '400% of 400%'. Now I level and get:

T1 (M1, M2, M3, M4)
->
T2 (M1, M2, M3, M4).

Time and effort wise this is accurate; the scheduling of the plan is optimal. But it just seems weird.

I want it to look like this:
T1 (M1, M2)
T2 (M3, M4)

This might not have been the optimal layout to show that "my way" makes better sense, because in my case it consists of dependencies between smaller and larger groups of tasks.

It just seems weird to me that everyone will always work together. When there are X tasks and X staff, they should be working on one task each.

Let's continue with this:

T3 takes 2 days to complete.
T4 takes 4 days to complete.

M1 works on T3.
M2 works on T4.

I want M1 to join M2 on T4, since M1 will complete T3 faster than M2 will complete T4, but they should start with individual tasks.