The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Performance Problem ? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tado View Post
By active you mean the 'status' of the project ? Then yes, there are lots of active projects. If projects are stored in folders, that are collapsed and not showing the content within it - would that help ?
same question.
I don't want to archive, but I'd like to collapse everything except what i'm working on currently.

thanks

Sorry for the trouble, myfre! We'll be happy to investigate this with you and figure out what's going on, but as Lizard mentioned, the best thing to do here is going to be to contact the support ninjas via email. As I'm sure you noticed, the forums don't really preserve the formatting of a sample report; it makes it a lot harder to tell what's going on.

An 8MB database is very large, but that's still slower performance than I would expect on your hardware, given the 2000-ish items in your database. I use my database for testing purposes, so it has just over 1700 actions and over a thousand projects, but still is only 812k in size...

Switching between views involves a fair amount of on-the-fly computation of what's visible or not - that's generally what causes a pause like that.

If you bounce back and forth between various views frequently, one thing that may be helpful would be to open up multiple windows on your database. You can then use Command-` to cycle between the windows, which has much less overhead involved than actually switching the window back and forth between those views.

(I just noticed that myfre also opened a thread on a similar subject; merging 'em to keep information centralized.)

hi,
as omni backup document it's 15mb but exported with Rob's applescript to opml it's 3mb.
I assume the opml stripped all jpgs in the file?

could I manually search for all jpgs and delete some to lighten the file?

regarding keeping multiple windows open: I do this already and it is fast as you mention. but I have a fair bit of work ahead of me to break down content into more folders and that requires lots of clicking around, and currently 30sec to 1 minute delay every click.

There's actually an Attachment List available from the Window menu, so no need to manually search. If you have a lot of jpgs, that could be what's causing the slow-down.

If you only need the jpgs on one computer (not synced to other devices), you can link them instead of embedding them. That *might* improve performance, but I'm not sure.

I understand. I actually have no attachments. I think the bulk of the size comes from pasting web pages into notes. I like them for visual reference.

So from now on, the faster way is to save the web page in a folder, then link to it?

Is this the same as creating an attachment?

now I understand. Just found the window/attachment and there is 1900 of them.

can anyone tell me where in file finder are all the jpgs stored? I've found jpg under the window/attachments then searched for a particular jpg name, but can't find it on my computer, so I assume omni must somehow archive them within it's own database... correct?

If I want to slim down my attachments, I guess I just go into that section and manually delete some of the big ones I don't need?

I have 1900 jpg and a 15mb database. Will I gain speed doing this? Should I focus primarily on reduce the quantity... or just delete the big ones?

thanks!

The files are embedded in your database (which lives at Library/Application Support/OmniFocus/OmniFocus.ofocus in your home directory) but you would be unwise to try deleting them via the Finder. Instead, sort the Attachment List window by clicking on the column headers, then go to an individual attachment's action or project by double-clicking on one of the rows. Delete the attachment by editing the note. Repeat as desired.

It's a little surprising to me that you're seeing it take 30-60 seconds to bring up a new window, as my database is even larger (though fewer attachments), yet switching views takes less than 10 seconds. Some additional things you might try:

collapse all the notes, via Edit->Toggle All Notes

use folders to divide up the pile, and focus on the folder in which you are working by selecting it in the sidebar and then right-clicking and selecting Focus

Basic idea is to remove as much as possible from the current view.

No problem at all.

In My Experience, OF is not the place to store notes for the long term, I use Evernote for that.

For me OF, is somewhere to keep tasks and projects and once they're done, they're done.

If you archive stuff on the Mac, you can get it back, but I've never needed to.

Each to their own though. Not saying you're wrong. just giving you my point of view.

THE GOOD NEWS...

deleted all my attachments, just to see if it would solve the problem (would need to be selective to preserve some)

now performance is decent. not snappy, but tolerable. switching to library takes 10 seconds, but like a palmer said...

I now keep a few windows open with views I'm working on,
and everything in left column is broken into more folders which I keep collapsed.

did have a problem deleting the 2000 attachments, it kept crashing until I did lots of less than 50 at once. maybe a bug?

thanks everyone!