The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

omniflow - unavoidable and inevitable? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
at the risk of sounding like a stuck record, i keep coming back - with some frustration - to the issue of integrated workflow between omni apps, because i keep hitting the same workflow blocks. bottom line is, i want to use the same data from conception to execution, using omni apps for my entire workflow, without copying and pasting and messing around, but it's simply not available, and the company has been resolutely noncommittal about the idea - as if it's some can of worms that must be avoided, like suggesting that pakistan possibly isn't 100% america's friend and ally. (is it permitted to be so _controversial_ in a software forum?).

i'd like to begin with unstructured capture of ideas, in some kind of mind map (as graphically rich or sparse as desired). then i'd like to begin to expand on those ideas in an outliner, being able to switch back to the mind map for overview and visual perspective. i'd like to select or link elements of the mind map/outline data set to an organisation chart or flowchart or whatever structured organisation is required. then i'd like to assign to any of that data timeline, gantt, and resource properties. then i'd like to expand that project management data into discrete actions in a todo/action manager view.

in omni terms, this would be realised as follows:

- omnimap mindmap for rapid idea generation/brainstorming/unstructured input (with organic graphic mindmap capability as with novamind >
- same data viewable in omnioutliner for expansion of ideas (switchable view between outline and mindmap) >
- omnigraffle for structural overview / flowchart / organisation (select subset of mindmap, or limited number of levels of objects to view in omnigraffle)
- omniplan for timeline and resource allocation / critical path project management
- omnifocus for individual action

i suspect i'm not the only one who would like to work in this or similar ways, so would be interested to hear from others on this topic.

i keep seeing comments with concerns about feature bloat / over complexity if the omni apps get integrated into a suite. at the same time, pretty much every user is having to jump through hoops with multiple software manufacturers to approximate the workflow they want. feature rich software only becomes an issue if that complexity is not elegantly implemented, and is in a user's face all the time. i would argue that each of the omni apps is already heavy in complexity, but that that complexity generally does not come at the expense of being able to use the apps in a more visually streamlined simple way.

it seems to me that using the same dataset from conception through to execution is an elegant avoidance of complexity, by simply making the data viewable from whatever perspective is required.

i'm not suggesting that this omnisuite could be cooked up over a leisurely weekend by a couple of omni interns. i am suggesting however that the advantages of such an integrated approach would make highly worthwhile making the strategic decision to consolidate and integrate omni data formats across the various visual and organisational perspectives that the omni apps currently offer. this is not impossible or unfeasible - but it does require a committed decision to make happen. much like transition to os x, or intel as a processor platform for the mac. painful, but ultimately hugely beneficial.

in short, there are currently very few options for information management which allow a user to go from broad view high concept to project management to concrete implementation using the same dataset from inception to completion, taking into account the way that the human brain hemispheres work together. i see omnigroup as ideally placed to capitalise on this. merlin and novamind go a considerable way towards what i'm pointing to, but i'm a sucker for the omni look and feel.

what do you say, omnigroup?

The latest iThoughtsHD (iPad MindMap tool) can export directly to OmniOutliner (via OPML) and also sync with an OPML file on iDisk that OO can read/write - if that helps any. I have seen a handful of MindMap tools for the desktop, I don't know if any of them have any similarly useful export/import options.

I have been trying to find the same thing. I'm currently using Curio on the Mac to try to do bigger picture layouts (mind maps especially). It supports project-centric development too, though I've not taken steps in this direction with it, and Curio only integrates in a limited way with iCal.

You might get helpful info from this site ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...pping_software

I'd like to hear how you make out with the search.

Quote:
Originally Posted by psidnell View Post
The latest iThoughtsHD (iPad MindMap tool) can export directly to OmniOutliner (via OPML) and also sync with an OPML file on iDisk that OO can read/write - if that helps any. I have seen a handful of MindMap tools for the desktop, I don't know if any of them have any similarly useful export/import options.
i don't currently have an ipad, but irrespective of which mac devices are in question, there are certainly workarounds such as the one you mention. all of them involve going outside of the omni environment, and already that makes the process non-transparent and non-seamless.

i'm pointing towards a common data format shared between omni apps, to allow what i'm suggesting to happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJJWMac View Post
I have been trying to find the same thing. I'm currently using Curio on the Mac to try to do bigger picture layouts (mind maps especially). It supports project-centric development too, though I've not taken steps in this direction with it, and Curio only integrates in a limited way with iCal.

You might get helpful info from this site ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...pping_software

I'd like to hear how you make out with the search.
i also use curio, and while it's great to have mind map and basic project managament right in the app, the mindmap implementation especially is quite poor.

again, while there are indeed numerous workaround options involving a suite of different 3rd party apps, omni seems to be the company best placed to develop an integrated platform-wide data management solution across the full range of apps.

merlin and novamind seem to be the hottest combo otherwise in terms of integration, but that is not a cheap solution, especially when i've already bought nearly all the omni apps, inc. the pro versions where applicable.

i have no idea whether data integration across omni apps is something the omni guys are seriously interested in at all, but i think it's worth pursuing as it would make idea development and implementation a joy, on the software side at least, so i keep on asking for it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by elektroglide View Post
i also use curio, and while it's great to have mind map and basic project managament right in the app, the mindmap implementation especially is quite poor. ...
Taking more of a Swiss army knife in approach, Curio does have some limits versus the dedicated apps ... mind mapping, project planning, ...

What I and others on the Zengobi forum have been asking to have is a way to integrate Curio with apps outside itself, especially the task manager suite (Things, OF, THL, ...). That might make a stronger case for my recommendation.

Thanks for the notes ... looking forward to see what happens.

--
JJW