The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniOutliner > OmniOutliner 3 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

question about functionality: columns Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Hi everyone,

I'm considering purchasing OmniOutliner and am currently looking at the trial version. However, there is one functionality that I can't quite work out which would be a deal breaker for me. I'm a researcher and would like to use OmniOutliner for my literature review. I am currently using excel (see snap shot for how I work). Now, OmniOutliner seems to be so much easier to work with for this purpose, but one thing I can't figure out is how to reorganise all the information in a file by column. For example, when I work in excel, I might click on the 'date of publication' column in order to see all my entries chronologically, or I might click on 'name of journal' to see all the entires per journal. I've tried to do this in omnioutliner, but when I try to sort the number columns nothing happens (I go to 'keep sorted', and when I click on 'highest to lowest' or 'lowest to highest', nothing changes), and when I try to sort text columns, e.g. by name of publication, some of the columns will rearrange themselves but others won't and nothing ends up alphabetical. So, I'm confused.

Am I missing something, or does OmniOutliner not provide this functionality?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2012-09-16 at 14.19.09.jpg
Views:	569
Size:	127.0 KB
ID:	2539