The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Tabbed views for Perspectives Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I don't know if it has been suggested - it seems like an obvious one - but I'd really like to see Tabbed views within a single window, similar to Safari, and an option to save them as a start up setup, in a future version. It would be great to have all of my regular Perspectives in a series of Tabs within a single window.

I'm not against this idea, but how would it be significantly different than just having your perspective icons in the toolbar? Clicking between them shows the desired perspective and gives you a visual indication in the toolbar of which one is being displayed - the same you'd expect from tabs.

Here are my "tabs":

Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 1.png
Views:	615
Size:	12.4 KB
ID:	787

I guess having tabs would allow you to have edits in progress in multiple perspectives simultaneously. You don't get that with perspective buttons in the toolbar. Also, I guess scrollbar position wouldn't be reset either.

Anything else I'm missing?

-Dennis

How did you get the black & white icons for use as "perspectives" as in that screen shot?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatOne View Post
How did you get the black & white icons for use as "perspectives" as in that screen shot?
Some shipped with OmniFocus (you an find them in the perspectives window). Others are copies of existing icons with their color saturation set to zero and slightly reduced brightness.

I posted the original set on the forum a while back:

http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=10069

I've since made a few changes and added one or two more icons for my own use but haven't gotten around to posting them anywhere.

-Dennis

Tabs would be different than Perspectives in that I often find myself quickly opening a number of windows that are the result of several steps that cannot be replicated in the Perspective function. I'd like to keep them open for easy access... and I'd rather not cram my overloaded Toolbar with more icons. Besides, I have become accustomed to Tabs in apps such as Safari and find them a convenient way to work.

What are these steps that the perspective mechanism can't do?

Where I would like to see Tabs is when using the focus command. Instead of opening a new window I would like to have it in a tab.

The focus menu command (View -> Focus on Selected Projects) and the toolbar button both operate within the current window on my system – no new windows are opened.

Perhaps you're talking about double-clicking in a project or folder, gcrump? I guess in that case it might be nice to open a tab instead of a new window. Although couldn't that be mostly replicated with perspectives in the toolbar as well?

-Dennis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toadling View Post
Perhaps you're talking about double-clicking in a project or folder, gcrump? I guess in that case it might be nice to open a tab instead of a new window. Although couldn't that be mostly replicated with perspectives in the toolbar as well?
The trouble is that the number of different projects that can be focused by double-clicking can be quite large. I have dozens of active projects. It wouldn't be practical to make perspectives for each.

I'm not too troubled by window proliferation in the current OF design. I seldom open more than two windows, typically a perspective open in one window and a focused project in another. I can see some benefits to tabs, but the view UI is quite complex as it is. I wonder if the additional complexity of tabs stuffed between view bars and column headings and toolbars might be overwhelming.

Curt

Yeah, I was talking about when double clicking. Fair point Curtis about the clutter of the UI. It is pretty crowded already. I was thinking that tab section would appear when needed, kind of like how safari handles it. Or even an option to have the double click not open a new window.