The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Using clipping with OmniOutliner Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Based on the feedback we're getting, most folks seem to prefer the current behavior. If other folks do want this change, though, emailing the support ninjas would be the way to go. More popular feature requests tend to get assigned higher priority, all other things being equal.

(Merged previous threads on this issue so it's easier to find by search.)

Maybe the way to do this would be to just make it a choice in the clip-o-tron prefs. You could even do it by application with a check box.

J.

That approach works when there are X number of groups of folks that are roughly equal sized, but in cases where that's not the case, more preferences hurt the majority - any preferences a given user doesn't have a need for just make the app feel heavier and more cluttered...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
That approach works when there are X number of groups of folks that are roughly equal sized, but in cases where that's not the case, more preferences hurt the majority - any preferences a given user doesn't have a need for just make the app feel heavier and more cluttered...
Right now, to this part of the constituency, the clip-o-tron feels quite heavy and useless except when used for email.

Why would that be such a big deal? Set it up once and forget it.

J.

The clip-o-tron only works with email in the Mail app. Everything else is a clipping function, which does work differently from the clip-o-tron.

I'm not tracking you on that one. Explain?

J.

The clip-o-tron will clip an email in the Mail.app when only the message is selected in the list. The clipper functions (top part of the preference pane) requires that some text be selected before it can be clipped to OmniFocus.

I forgot to mention the technical details-the clip-o-torn installs as a plug-in in Mail's bundle folder while the clipping functions are called via the Services menu.

Ok, this was frustrating enough for me that I started working on an applescript to fix this from OO to OF.

The applescript below is simple, and I've just started fooling with it, but it seems like it works. To use this, selected a number of rows (at least one) in OO. Each one is converted into an action in the quick entry box of Omnifocus. You can then add the contexts, dates etc... there and then save it to Omnifocus.

It's a start on what the Clip-o-tron ought to be doing, IMHO.

usual caveats apply - use at your own risk etc...

J.

Code:
tell front document of application "OmniOutliner Professional"

set theList to the selected rows
	set theCount to (count of selected rows)
	if theCount < 1 then
		display dialog "You need to select at least one row to use this script." buttons "Cancel" default button "Cancel"
	end if

-- go through each selected row in OmniOutliner and then create a corresponding
	-- action in the quick entry box of OF

set actionText to ""
	repeat with i from 1 to theCount

set actionText to (get topic of item i of selected rows)

-- create a new action in Omnifocus QuickEntry window

tell application "OmniFocus"
			-- create new action
			tell quick entry
				open
				set NewTask to make new inbox task with properties {name:actionText}
			end tell
		end tell
	end repeat
end tell