The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniGraffle > OmniGraffle General
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Sending object to a different layer. Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hello, all.

Anyone know of a way to send an object to another layer? If I cut from one layer and paste to another the layer transfer occurs but the object shifts several pixels down and to the right. What am I missing?

...chocky :confused:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chocky
Hello, all.

Anyone know of a way to send an object to another layer? If I cut from one layer and paste to another the layer transfer occurs but the object shifts several pixels down and to the right. What am I missing?

...chocky :confused:
Yeah, this tripped me up too, and still does sometimes -- it's just not second nature yet...

In the Canvases/Layers Drawer, the layer you are currently editing has a pencil icon, and any layers with selected objects show a selection icon.

To move an object from one layer to another you're actually cutting and pasting it the same relative position on the new canvas:
  1. if you haven't already, create the layer that you want to move the object to;
  2. select the object you want to move - the layer this object is on, will now have the selection icon next to its title in the Drawer;
    click on that icon, to make sure that the pencil icon is on the same layer (this indicates the layer you are editing);
  3. cut the object(s);
  4. click to the left of the target layer's title, to move the pencil icon to this layer (i.e. to edit this layer);
  5. paste the object and it will be in the same position as it was on the previous layer.
You do get used to it, but like I said, it's still not really second-nature for me.

Thanks for the reply, Marc.

You are quite correct (and I had been trying that earlier). Every time I tried the resulting paste was shifted a few pixels down and to the right. I just tried it again (after relaunching OmniGraffle) and objects maintain their positions.

Thanks again...

...Glenn

What the heck is the "move selection to layer" command in the edit menu good for, then?

It always shows up as grayed out for me.