The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPhone
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

MailMe Text app for quick message to Actions Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I am using a cheap iPhone app that expedites quick mind dumps to my OmniFocus Inbox. "MailMe Text" performs one simple task quickly... it sends an email to a default email address with a Subject prefix of "MailMe". In Mail prefs Rules I changed the trigger condition of the Send to OmniFocus rule to apply to emails that begin with "MailMe" and in OmniFocus prefs the Process messages having: a Subject starting with "MailMe". Now, instead of having to wait many seconds for OmniFocus to load on my iPhone, I wait just a few seconds for MailMe to load, jot down the thought (before it escapes my porous grey matter) press send... then return to whatever it was I was doing, with minimal interruption. I find this much faster when I'm out and about.

This is a pretty slick app, indeed. Thanks!

However, I just wanted to make sure you knew that the "new inbox item" toolbar button is active even while the database is loading. That method of dropping an item into OmniFocus for processing later works pretty well for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
This is a pretty slick app, indeed. Thanks!

However, I just wanted to make sure you knew that the "new inbox item" toolbar button is active even while the database is loading. That method of dropping an item into OmniFocus for processing later works pretty well for me.
Thanks Brian.
When I am on location and heavily preoccupied with a task and suddenly I come up with an idea about something unrelated to that task, I want to get it into my Inbox then get back to what I was doing as quickly as possible. Seconds count for me or I will forget the idea or lose momentum in my current task. Unfortunately, in my case, it doesn't take much for "mind like water" to evaporate!
Yes, the "new inbox item" does become active before the entire OF database loads but it still takes much longer than using the MailMe Text app, which loads in a couple of seconds and consumes only as much time as it takes to type the text and hit send. No doubt there are other similar iPhone apps out there. It's just one that I happened to stumble across and it works well for that one simple task. I wanted to share, not as any kind of complaint about the responsiveness of OF iPhone, which is a terrific app, but rather as a supplementary tool for "mind like leaky bucket" types like me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchit View Post
Yes, the "new inbox item" does become active before the entire OF database loads but it still takes much longer than using the MailMe Text app, which loads in a couple of seconds and consumes only as much time as it takes to type the text and hit send.
Hmm, how long does OF take on your iPhone? What model is your phone?

On my 3GS, it takes 3 seconds to get from my home screen to the point where I can start typing a new inbox task. I find that to be sufficient, but I'd love it if it were even faster. :-)

Is your "MailMe Text" workflow faster?

-Dennis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toadling View Post
Hmm, how long does OF take on your iPhone? What model is your phone?

On my 3GS, it takes 3 seconds to get from my home screen to the point where I can start typing a new inbox task. I find that to be sufficient, but I'd love it if it were even faster. :-)

Is your "MailMe Text" workflow faster?

-Dennis
Oh, now you're just showing off! ☺ I'm struggling along with a 3G and OF takes quite a few seconds before the Inbox icon is active. It might have something to do with me not archiving as often as I should. But the "MailMe Text" iPhone app doesn't really alter my workflow, it just makes one thing faster and simpler... getting an Action into my Inbox... no further thinking about what Project or Context should apply. It goes via rules in the Mail app on my main workhorse computer to OmniFocus and it is then disseminated via MobileMe sync to OmniFocus on other computers and devices... including back to my iPhone. That might seem like a roundabout route but the next time I want to see that Action again is when I am in Process mode on my main machine.

On my 3G, MailMe Text is up in 3 seconds. Omnifocus "new inbox item" is ready to receive text in about 6 seconds, and I need to press the button before. MailMe Text is a great suggestion, thanks!

The only drawback is that MailMe Text takes about 10 seconds in sending a mail. If I need to enter more than one task, it is better to use Omnifocus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlosgp View Post
On my 3G, MailMe Text is up in 3 seconds. Omnifocus "new inbox item" is ready to receive text in about 6 seconds, and I need to press the button before. MailMe Text is a great suggestion, thanks!

The only drawback is that MailMe Text takes about 10 seconds in sending a mail. If I need to enter more than one task, it is better to use Omnifocus.
I agree. I only use MailMe Text for a single idea that I want to store quickly as an Action via my iPhone, then forget about it and get back to whatever I was doing. In that case, it doesn't bother me how long MailMe Text takes to actually send the email... the iPhone's back in my pocket by then. But for anything more than one Action, then it's best to load OF. But that usually means I've broken my attention away from whatever I was doing, anyway.

I do not understand. The time you save is a couple of seconds. For that, you are willing to pay 10% of the price for OF/iPhone? Seems like the cost benefit is not finacially viable.

Upon opening OF, it's a good opportunity to review your actions, something Allen suggests. I used a Day-Timer, and every time I entered a new action I read at a glance all the next actions.

Using your method you are acumulating your inbox only to have to go back and distribute all the work. If you follow Allen closely, he advises against it since the only way you'll get the actions out of your head (or RAM) will be when they are properly delegated, contexted, projected.

Man, this 10% you say is 1,59€. I would dare to say it is financially viable ;).

I would like to report a problem with this. Omnifocus is not deleting the "MailMe:" prefix. If I change "MailMe:" for "--" the prefix is deleted.