The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Very unhappy customer Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I like Omni-F but that service e-mail address that is often tossed out is the weakest link. the responses are vague and often only address complaints indirectly.

I under how you would not want to see squabbles continue on the forum, but it is time to update sales@omnigroup.com. to version 1.5.

thanks for the hard work

If understand what has been stated, I think that you are able to install on two machines, but you are not able to run it on both at the same time if they are on the same network. This is the same as many of the software licenses that come from other companies. Ableton Live (audio) allows installation on 2 computers (laptop and desktop) but you are only legally allowed to run 1 at a time. My guess is that if you were to install your native instruments applications on multiple machines and have them all running at once that you would be in violation of their license, especially in a studio setting where you might have 3 or 4 installs.

Is OmniFocus giving you trouble when you are away from the office using it on your laptop, or is it when you return home and open both up to sync?

Before I started ranting on a public forum about this type of thing I'd make sure I'd actually read the license agreement when I bought the software (bold added for emphasis):

Quote:
About our software licenses
Our products are usually licensed for a given number of computers or users, whichever is lower. For instance, one person with both a laptop and a desktop computer (or, say, a home machine and an office machine) can legally install and use a single license on both computers, though not at the same time. Similarly, a home computer shared by three family members needs only a single license of the software.
Maybe that's just me.

Oh, I should also point out that if you really do want to run an Omni product on several computers at the same time, you don't have to pay full price for a second seat: you can upgrade a single-user license to a Family Pack five-user license for about half the price of a single license.

Before I started ranting on a public forum about this type of thing I'd make sure I'd actually read the license agreement when I bought the software (bold added for emphasis):

Well thank you for that. What's it like being perfect?
This is a discussion forum and I am merely discussing although I am angry. You can call it ranting if you want. I clearly labeled my post with how I was feeling. You don't have to look. Anyway..

Ken, I could give you more money but isn't $80 enough for what is surely a very simple desire- to have my laptop and desktop on a wifi network without having to constantly worry about whether I've quitted OF? Why do you impose this restriction- I am one person buying one product! The fact that I choose to use t on my laptop and my desktop is not your concern.
If I decide to install it on all my friends computers that IS your concern.
I think your license model is wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinky View Post
Why do you impose this restriction- I am one person buying one product!
The reason for this restriction is to prevent multiple people from using the same license on multiple computers at the same time. Unfortunately, our software can't tell that you're just one person who happens to be using multiple computers.

OK that's what I thought. Well if you used challenge and response you could keep track of this fact... but that's a whole different ball game. OK I'm out of here- I've sent an email to your sales in regards to this matter. Thank you.

Please, no challenge and response mechanism! I've had my fill of headaches with the pain in the a** challenge and response systems commonly used in audio software.

I think the current licensing agreement and enforcement system is fair, reasonable, and commonly used in the software industry. For the vast majority of users, it presents no problem at all. And the app never has to "phone home".