The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniPlan > OmniPlan General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Modeling Tasks Worked In Parallel Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
I am having a problem allocating resources for tasks that should happen in parallel. I have a 2 day task that is constrained over 3 days, lets say it is constrained to start Jan 1-3.

I have a 1 day task constrained over exactly 1 day, lets say its constrained Jan 2-Jan2.

I assigned one resource to both tasks. In theory there are three days of effort, three days duration, and the resource should allocate properly without over or under allocation during that time period.

This works fine if the task constraints are such that the tasks can be done in their entirety in series. If the constraints requires the tasks get worked in parallel to complete (that is employee starts task 1, works it for a day, starts task 2, works for a day to completion, finishes task 1 the third day) the resource is always shown as over-allocated during the overlap.

Is there another way to model to fix this issue without hackery (breaking task 1 into 2 tasks, constantly juggling percent allocation)? When you have lots resources and lots of tasks with fixed date constraints, it seems working tasks in parallel in this manner is a necessity.