The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Delete Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
As an OF iPhone/OF license owner I want to delete every element, vestige and trace of OF from my Mac but cannot work out how to remove 101% of every bit & byte.

Is there a reliable guide anywhere?

Thanks

Jules

PS the reason is that I do not have time right now to mountaineer the learning curve (too much else to do) and OF is so "needy" - he opens up by himself (hey, look at me), then open's multiple instances of himself (hey, over here; there's two of us now) then crashes (now I'm sulking) every time I open Dashboard.

I just need to stop him interrupting me all the time so please, any help you can give me would be gratefully received.

The learning curve for OF is a bit steep, but other than that I find your description of OF's behavior a bit bizarre. OF is the least in-my-face task management application I've ever used. Did you happen to install the KranK widget? KranK intentionally pushes OF tasks at you for those who like that sort of thing. I've never seen OF launch itself, but perhaps an ill-mannered widget or Applescript is causing OF to launch on your machine. It also sounds like you installed more than one copy of OmniFocus, as that's the only way I know of to get OS X to launch two copies of the same application.

Not knowing what Dashboard widgets or scripts you've installed, it's hard to give reliable advice on uninstalling, but here goes:
  1. Launch OF, go to the Clippings tab, click the button to Remove the OmniFocus Mail Clip-o-tron 3000. If you don't have a Remove button, then the script isn't installed and you're good on this note.
  2. Open Apple Mail's preferences, go to the Rules pane, and delete any OmniFocus related rules that you might have added.
  3. Open Dashboard, click the plus sign at lower left, click the Manage Widgets button. Delete OF related widgets. There are four possible widgets that I'm aware of: OmniFidget from the OmniGroup, my Where To Focus widget, and SprialOcean's Krank and Firesprite. There may be others, but I haven't seen any yet.
  4. Now you can delete the OmniFocus application. I can't tell you how to do that because I don't know where you put it. The likely location if /Applications, but if you're getting multiple instance of OF running simultaneously, then you've probably installed it more than once.
  5. Delete the ~/Library/Application Support/OmniFocus folder.
  6. Delete ~/Library/Preferences/com.omnigroup.OmniFocus.plist file.

That should be everything. Hope that helps.

Curt

Thank you Curt.

I had no scripts, add-ons or third-party Widgets installed.

I did have the official OF Widget installed and within a day-or-two of starting this thread OF was crashing every time Dashboard was opened. I'm suspect removing the Widget would have been sufficient to get rid of the problem(s).

Regards,

jiF