The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb Feature Requests
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Search shortcuts need a bit of an upgrade Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
- Need to be able to set text encoding type. Most of the search shortcuts I've tried to create for Japanese sites don't work. The search string comes out garbled. I could fix this easily by simply setting the text encoding to the type expected by the site.

- Editable parameters. I just tried to create a shortcut to search MacUpdate with Google (by adding "site:www.macupdate.com" to the query), but it wasn't saved when I created the shortcut. I went into the preferences and edited the URL so it looked like this "...&q=site:www.macupdate.com+%@", but OmniWeb is clearing that out because the "q" parameter is explicitly set to the string entered after the shortcut. (By the way, I wanted to create a Google shortcut for MacUpdate because their own search engine stinks, and Google always finds exactly what I'm looking for on the first try.)

That's it. Those two improvements would make many more search shortcuts possible, and would be highly appreciated.

Uhm ... that second one works perfectly for me (current 5.8 SP). I copied the Google shortcut that came with OW and replaced &q=%@ by exactly what you wrote above, and it worked.

Maybe try again? X-)

Best regards,

Christian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormchild View Post
Editable parameters. I just tried to create a shortcut to search MacUpdate with Google (by adding "site:www.macupdate.com" to the query), but it wasn't saved when I created the shortcut. I went into the preferences and edited the URL so it looked like this "...&q=site:www.macupdate.com+%@", but OmniWeb is clearing that out because the "q" parameter is explicitly set to the string entered after the shortcut. (By the way, I wanted to create a Google shortcut for MacUpdate because their own search engine stinks, and Google always finds exactly what I'm looking for on the first try.)
A "MU google" search is available at www.macupdate.com, it works by just creating a shortcut (with the little magnifying glass in the status bar) with the "MU google" search field selected.

Is there a list of search shortcuts for various engines? I've been trying to add DuckDuckGo but haven't yet been successful. The one I had for Dogpile has pooped out.