The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPhone
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Shortcut for OmniFocus audio Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hello,

I find the audio recording on the iPhone to be really neat and usually faster than writing the same thing in a note. However, it's a bit tedious to pick up the phone from a pocket in my jacket, open OmniFocus, choose "record audio". Is it possible to record audio without picking up the phone? Say, maybe, three clicks on the middle button of the volume control would start recording OF audio, one click would finish it?

Afaik, Apple does not allow third parties to use hardware controls. Which sucks, but hey, it's 1984Apple. There was a photo-app which allowed users to take photos using the volume-button (when the app was loaded). This app got banned from the store. Sad thing, imo.

Hi HenricF,

I've been discussing audio in OF on the iPhone over on the OF for Mac Board (don't ask!), click this link to have a look.

As posted in that thread, I prefer to use separate Apps to record audio and take pictures, then put a link to launch the relevant file in the notes section of an action thereby avoiding problems with syncing, exporting, etc.

If you have an iPhone 3GS or 4 which has multitasking, you might like to take a look at Record - Voice Recorder by Polar Bear Farm which has a 'shake to record' facility.

As FatalError said, unfortunately Apps that have used the external controls on the iPhone have been banned. In the case of Camera+ at least Apple didn't kill the App, just stopped selling it. I'm hoping that the next iPhone will have an additional button that developers can program, for taking pictures, recording audio, etc. fingers-crossed! :)