The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > Community > Omni Lounge
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Project collaboration tools that play nice with OmniFocus? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hello all,

I'm a soon-to-be high school student, and I'd like to make a fresh start by organizing my life a little bit more. OmniFocus (for iPhone) has been a great help already, and I'm sure OF for Mac will tremdously help as well once I get my MacBook.

One thing I kept struggling with in the past, though, has been project collaboration. I've read up on using contexts like Waiting For and such for keeping track of who's doing what. OmniFocus, though, is meant for personal task management, for as far as I could tell from lurking on these forums for a couple of weeks.

And so I've started looking for an affordable tool to help aid with project collaboration. The features I'm looking for are:
  • Import tasks from OmniFocus projects or OmniOutliner documents (perhaps through a script or batch email import)
  • People being able to comment on tasks, attach files, etcetera
  • Ability to easily check the status on tasks I assigned to others
  • Support for around 5 users
  • Bonus for a weekly digest of activity and finished/upcoming tasks by email
I'd also really like for the tool to be free, or at least somewhat affordable ($10/month really is the max).

I've looked through a whole slew of tools already, but none really convinced me to sign up / pay for their features. The tools Podio and Flow* seem to have the feature sets that align most to my needs, but Podio doesn't offer an easy method of task import, and Flow is really, really expensive (especially for a student).

TL;DR: Do you know of any project collaboration tools that play nice with software from the Omni Group? Or know a solution for the features I'm after? Please share or link to them here! :)

* Not allowed to share links due to post limit. I'm new here :)

Basecamp comes highly recommended and can sync with OmniFocus via Spootnik, but unfortunately it's well out of a student's price range. (Unless I overlooked something, which is certainly possible.)

I've asked one of my teachers yesterday for his take on project collaboration. He suggested that it's better to keep things simple, to keep the overhead as low as possible.

I think it might be a better idea (for students, at least) to use a tool such as Google Documents. It's free, and everyone from the group can update it at the same time. Then it'd just be a matter of exporting the tasks to a spreadsheet, possibly sorting them, and spreading the link to the doc to everyone involved.

I guess it isn't such a nice solution, but if it works, it should be okay.