The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Is Omnifocus the best mac program for gtd Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I realize I'm asking this question within the omni forum group - but I am brand new to GTD and am in the processing of m first mindsweep and want to start off with the best program. I'm on macbook pro. Not on iphone yet - will be when the offer verizon.
I've read about a lot of glitches in the other threads and was wondering if you could give me guidance. Does omnifocus sync up with iCal? Should I be looking at Entourage or eproductivity?
Thanks for any and all advice.
Tim

Right now there are only two GTD type apps worth looking at on OSX and they are Things and OmniFocus. Both have their unique way of doing GTD. My suggestion to you is to download the demos of both and see which fits your workflow and needs.

OmniFocus has a great white paper which really does wonders in putting the GTD philosophy into practice. Be sure to read it before doing anything:
http://www.omnigroup.com/ftp/pub/sof...dOmniFocus.pdf

I've tried both and in the end decided on OmniFocus because it suited my needs the most.

I recently made my own comparison and wrote about it at:

http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=16683

@tmx24

The answer is a rotund YES. As a matter of fact, Omnifocus was selected by the David Allen Group as THE GTD app!

Now, on the downside (if at all) OF adheres to a strict GTD. Although it may be modified to fit anyone's taste, its strength resides in using it as a GTD tool. If you are into GTD, you'll love it. If you don't agree with a strict GTD, you'll find a steep learning curve.

I don't think Things is even in the same league. Why? Mostly because Things was not developed as a strict GTD app.

@rogbar
btw, I read your posting and I found it very interesting. Thanks

Last edited by Mango Himself; 2010-07-19 at 10:53 PM..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mango Himself View Post
Omnifocus was selected by the David Allen Group as THE GTD app!
Clarification: David Allen has said some nice things about OmniFocus from time to time, and they do sell OmniFocus on their website, so we must be doing something right. :-)

That said, I've listened to several podcasts where he (and other DavidCo folks) stress the point that no one tool is going to work for everyone, and that it's also very easy to get caught up in tweaking a tool rather than getting things done.

We're very lucky and grateful to have the opportunity to work with them on stuff like the GTD/OmniFocus white paper we did a while back, but I don't know if they'd recommend us unconditionally.

Aside from the books they publish, I'm not sure if there's a set of tools that every single one of them use. :-)

@Brian

thanks for the clarification. Still, I know a few guys who back you 100% (me included) ;)

You guys are the best. :-)