The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Discount for beta testers? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Greetings,

Is there a discount on Omni Focus for beta testers? I was one since May of '07. I did many a download and trial, over and over.

Cheers,

Tim

Prior to the official launch of the app last winter, Omni offered a 50% discount to everyone. Sounds like you didn't take advantage of it.

Nope. At the time, I was dirt poor. Not so much any more. Still, I did DL a hundred different alpha / beta versions and kick the tires. I'm hunting around for a favor.

Unfortunately, I think there are probably hundreds of people willing to beta test for nothing more than an early look at the release and a voice in the app's development. As long as that continues, I don't think you stand much of a chance in getting an additional discount. But I guess it doesn't hurt to ask. ;-)

-Dennis

What have you been using in the meantime? I note Things has finally come out of beta this week and people are now having to stump up for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toadling View Post
... But I guess it doesn't hurt to ask. ;-)

-Dennis
Agreed-- but I'd send a private message, as I don't think they'd want to respond in a public forum. Who knows? Maybe they're feeling the Macworld spirit...

The unfortunate fact here is that we cannot compensate beta testers without opening ourselves up to a lawsuit. A google search for "ultima online volunteer lawsuit" will turn up links to the relevant precedent.

My understanding is that our lawyers believe any form of compensation, be it a discount or a t-shirt or any other kind of goods or services with monetary value carries the risk of a similar lawsuit. We're very grateful for the help we get from beta testers, but our thanks is all we can give you as a company.

When we have concluded betas in the past, we have offered discounts to anyone interested in the app, regardless of whether they participated in the beta or not. This doesn't carry the legal liability I mentioned above. Since the discounts are available to anyone, they kinda have to expire after some period of time or we'd really just be reducing the price of the application, though.

I don't have any specific help for you, Tim; I'm really sorry that the way this was set up didn't work for your circumstances - that sucks. We do appreciate the bug and crash reports that you sent in. If you should meet this particular Omni employee out in the world some day, he does promise, acting on his own time and with his own funds, to buy you a tasty beverage of whatever variety you would prefer. :-)

Last edited by Brian; 2009-01-15 at 07:17 PM.. Reason: beverage offer

I was also one of those folks that downloaded the various betas but didn't take advantage of it. I waited until I saw what I liked in OmniFocus 1.5.

If you bought OmniOutliner or OmniOutliner Pro, there is a discount for OmniFocus. There are also family and educational prices available for OmniFocus.

If you bought a car for $10,000.00 so that you can get to work where you can make four to ten times that amount, wouldn't you think your car was a worthy investment?

I think my full priced purchase of OmniFocus was worth every penny. If spending $79.95 is gonna help your work or personal life and help you make ten times what you spent on OmniFocus, wouldn't you think it was worth it?

This program has paid itself ten times over for me!

Brian, could you turn a blind eye if Tim were to take advantage of the Educational discount for OmniFocus... you are working in the University of Life are you not, Tim?

It isn't quite 50%, but it is still a substantial difference in the price ($50 versus $80). Better yet, if you own OmniOutliner Pro, it is actually even more than 50% (only $37.46) in the OmniGroup's Education store.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKT View Post
the University of Life
Where we all try to delay our graduation as long as possible. :-)

Curt