The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Data risk with the OF2 private beta? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I'd really like to sign up for the OF2 private beta because I'm eager to try it out, but my only reservation in doing so would be the risk of data corruption due to the app's beta status.

I could live with occasional crashes or functions not being fully baked but not having data going *poof*.

If my data is kept on their cloud server and shared with my iPad and iPhone, are there syncing safeguards and/or is the beta far enough along that the risk of data corruption is not much higher with the OF2 beta than the current 1.10 version?

Thanks for your input.

it's always a risk to use beta software and you shouldn't have any important data involved unless it's fully backed up elsewhere and retrievable later. i believe you can store a copy of the OF database separately

There is always a data loss risk with trying out pre-release software. (There's even a risk with released software!) That said, OmniFocus 2 Private Test will be relatively safe to test. As a side effect of some other work we needed to do, the OmniFocus 2 database, preferences and so forth are stored in a separate directory from the ones for OmniFocus 1. This means that you can have both apps running on your computer, talking to separate databases while you're first trying out OmniFocus 2. Then, as you get comfortable, and OmniFocus 2 stabilizes, you can set it up to sync to the same server database as OmniFocus 1 and your iOS devices.