The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Date Parsing: Natural Language, Relative Date Options Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
i'm perhaps doing something wrong? when i enter into the field with the little clock next to it, as xmas says above, 'tomorrow' or '2d' or '5/25/07' (without quotes of course), nothing (right) happens.

entering any of these and hitting return of course gives me a new line and putroubleshoot nothing in the field.

entering any of these and hitting tab shows me '1m' - but it's not 1 month, it's two days from now.

did i misread something? is this a bug?

thanks.

Yes... that is the Estimated time for the task. There, you would enter: 10m or 3h or so. "Tomorrow" is not an estimated time, so it's definitely not going to be recognized as one.

you are suggesting that that field is just to show an estimated due date? can't be, cuz when i put in 5/25/07 (two days from now), it says 1m. the actual date for the project is now gone, it's not there when i look in inspector. and in any case 1m as an estimate for a date that is day after tomorrow doesn't make sense.

sorry, still confused.

In the current alphas, the field with a clock in it is for "duration", so it's your guess on how long a task will take. This is something like "5 minutes" or "3 hours". It is NOT an absolute date, like "May 23rd".

What I'm talking about in this thread is referring to the Start/Due/Completed dates found in the inspector, which are absolute dates.

Sorry I wasn't clear - it's the estimated time necessary to complete the task - as in "it takes me 1 minute to make this phonecall" or "it takes me 4 hours to write this paper" or "it takes me 1 lifetime to get organized" :D

I have no idea how it figures 1 minute from 5/25/07, though, and it certainly shouldn't empty your due date! (which it does for me, too - *confirmed bug*)

wow. thank you SO much for clarifying that. now that i understand there's now column for a due date, it makes sense.

um... i see you say it on the intro:

"You'll be able to add columns to the outline for due and start dates"

thanks!

Another clarification for our international users:

If your system dates are formatted like: "May 23 1979", then a formatted input assumes that you'll enter dates in the same order. So my date format is Month-Day-Year, which means if I enter "5-23-79" or "5/23/79" or "5.23.79" its going to be parsed in that month-day-year order.

If you were to enter "2007-12-31" and your date format was "May 23 1979" then we'd get confused (currently, working on adding some more robustness). (but some dates like 1-1-1, I have to pick something, so we default to your system prefs)

But if you change your system date format (*really, your system short date format) to how you expect to enter dates, you should have more success. You can do this in the SystemPrefs>International>Format pane.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smew
Sorry I wasn't clear - it's the estimated time necessary to complete the task - as in "it takes me 1 minute to make this phonecall" or "it takes me 4 hours to write this paper" or "it takes me 1 lifetime to get organized" :D

I have no idea how it figures 1 minute from 5/25/07, though, and it certainly shouldn't empty your due date! (which it does for me, too - *confirmed bug*)
It clears the date you have in the inspector for due date? Or you just get a unexpected duration?

when i put a value in and hit tab it gives the unexpected duration. when i hit RETURN, it clears the field and gives me a new blank line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fogboy
when i put a value in and hit tab it gives the unexpected duration. when i hit RETURN, it clears the field and gives me a new blank line.
I think that's working correctly. If you put something in the duration field that we can't parse as a duration, then it will return nothing, and pressing enter always makes a new line (unless you have a completion table open).

If this is not working how you expect, send a bug using the Send Feedback tool.