The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus Syncing > Syncing via Omni Sync Server
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Now accepting testing volunteers for the OmniFocus Mail Drop feature Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
For all the extra features I wish this had, I'm very grateful for what it does - keeping attachment when syncing to IOS as a big plus for me - so thanks

I'd like to also say thank you for this feature, it has made my life significantly easier!

Hello Everyone — I figured the people would be of the automation mindset so this If This Then That (IFTTT; ifttt.com) rule would be right up your alley.

Here is an IFTTT rule I made (they won't let me post it as a hyperlink so you'll have to copy and paste :) )

bit.ly/IFTTTtoOmni

Hope it helps some other people.

2 notes —

1. IFTTT strips the email of all of its formatting, so this can make for difficult to read notes.

2. If you have a message thread and you label it in gmail (and you have message threading enabled under Settings → General → Conversation View) it will make a copy of every email in that thread as an independent note with the same title. For this reason I turned off that threading

Cheers,
Mike

EDIT, December 31, 2012: I originally stated that Mail Drop strips the formatting, but it is IFTTT's Body Plain that strips the formatting. Apologies for that. With this in mind I'm now looking to see if there is a way around this.

Last edited by mpacer; 2012-12-31 at 03:09 PM.. Reason: correcting misinformation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
Ditto with regards to the auto-filing features; it would take longer to implement than we have available right now. Ship the feature now so folks can benefit from it, then improve it later when we've got room on the schedule. Votes added to the existing feature request on that, though. :-)
Brian - Thank you for the new feature. This is so much easier. By "auto-filing" do you mean functionality to automatically move an email into a project or context in OmniFocus?

If not, is there a way to put something in the email subject line to designate the Context or Project the email is related to? I am an Ipad and Iphone user only. Thank you.

Last edited by Brian; 2013-01-23 at 10:54 AM.. Reason: increase readability by reducing quantity of quoted text.

Welcome to the forums, Phibbs! Yes, by 'auto-filing', I mean what you're requesting - the ability to route an item to a particular project or context by encoding the email in some manner.

We plan to support that at some point in the future, but we don't have an ETA on when that work might happen. I'll attach your post to the item we have open on this in our dev database so the rest of the team knows you'd like to see it added. (The number of customers requesting a given change is one of the main metrics we use when planning our work.) Thanks!

Parsing projects and contexts, etc. was one of the first things we added to our wishlist after we started using it internally. However, we saw that what we had already built would have value to many people, so we decided to go ahead and make that available now. We hope to get back and add more features soon.

I would argue that the ability to specify a start/due date in the email is even more valuable than the project/context for many. The project or context is usually evident from looking at the action as it sits there in the Inbox. However, a due date may not be so obvious, especially when considering that email route is frequently used to capture something on the run, so the stimulus that prompted the action may no longer be present for checking at the time of processing.

It would be very helpful to have the ability to open the attachments in other apps on the iPhone and iPad especially for editing purposes. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
I would argue that the ability to specify a start/due date in the email is even more valuable than the project/context for many. The project or context is usually evident from looking at the action as it sits there in the Inbox. However, a due date may not be so obvious, especially when considering that email route is frequently used to capture something on the run, so the stimulus that prompted the action may no longer be present for checking at the time of processing.
+1 to being able to specify the due date within the email.

I love the new feature of being able to forward email to my inbox.

The old method (Send to inbox) put the email in my inbox along with a link to open the original message in Mail. Apparently the new method eliminates that. Is there a way I can get that link using the sync server forwarding method? It's very handy.

Thanks!