The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

attachments do not sync Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I am having the following problem. I attached (not linked) an OmniOutliner document into the notes of one of my projects. After sync, OF on the second mac shows the attached document fine. But if I double-click on it and edit it in OmniOutliner, the changes do not propagate to the other mac.
Running the latest version of OF 1.5.

By default, attachments are only linked to your database, which keeps your database smaller and allows you to edit the original file after attaching it. The downside, of course, is that when the action is synced to another machine, OmniFocus won't be able to view it unless the attachment is stored on a shared drive.

You can also actually embed an attachment in your database by Option-dragging it into a note field. This can make your database significantly larger and prevents editing of the attached file (unless you detach it, edit it, and reattach it). But it should sync to all your machines, I believe (I've never actually tried it myself).

Hope this helps.

-Dennis

Last edited by Toadling; 2008-11-23 at 07:28 AM..

It sounds like eugene_o is embedding, not linking, the document.

My guess is that OF isn't noticing that you are editing the embedding document. On the first machine the changes appear because OF is opening the changed file. However, because the action itself did not change, OF would not record a transaction to signal to the second machine that the data changed. Again, this is just a guess. You might try also editing the note of the action to force a synchronization transaction, though that might not cause the changed file to be transmitted.

This looks like a bug at any rate. Use Help --> Send Feedback to be sure the bug is entered into the bug tracking database.

Curt

You're right, Curt. I missed that eugene_o's document was already embedded. That's what I get for a hasty response from my iPhone. :-)

I'm not in front of my OmniFocus right now either, but I could have sworn that embedded documents can't be edited, or more accurately, they can't be resaved to the OmniFocus database, regardless of whether syncing is enabled or not. I don't know if the inability to edit embedded attachments is a bug or by design, but I think the behavior is long-standing and pre-dates syncing.

eugene_o, do your edits save successfully in the original database, prior to syncing? Or am I completely off-base here?

-Dennis

Last edited by Toadling; 2008-11-23 at 10:48 AM..

Looks like this is still a problem in 1.6.1
I can confirm that I can in fact edit documents that are embedded (not linked). However it looks like this is actually not happening inside the database but some temporary location. (I see the file I'm editing is somewhere in /private/var/ )
So, next time I sync or even just close and relaunch OF - goodbye changes.
This is a bit dangerous - I would strongly prefer to at least make things write-protected if the changes will be lost so you do notice that you can't save there.

That's a good idea. You can use Help --> Send Feedback to submit bug reports and feature requests. Reports from multiple users, and data loss reports, tend to get attention by the devs more quickly.

Curt