The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Omnifocus and collaboration? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I'm coming to the view that OmniFocus+iPhone is going to be the best task manager for me in my role as a School IT Manager.

One thing I would really value would be the ability for other users to create or view my tasks.

I'm intrigued by the feature advertised on the website concerning iCal sync and some kind of mail-based task submission.

For example, I can imagine a simple PHP script on a webpage with a GUI for creating IT related tasks for me. Clicking submit converts the entered information into the special format Omnifocus will be looking for (with all those #,$, and >) and mails it to a special address "ITrequests@foo.com" created for that purpose. Does OmniFocus check the account by itself or does it require a mail client on the Mac? Does the iPhone version check for mail or only the desktop version?

Concerning the iCal sync: My boss uses Windows, but he also has Sunbird that can access .ics files. We have a WebDAV server we use to collaborate calendars between our Mac and PC users here - what kind of information ends up in iCal? Only the to-do list? Events in the calendar itself? Can events be created in iCal/Sunbird and appear at Sync in Omnifocus?

If anyone can give me some guidance, I think Omnifocus is going to be a good fit for us. Thanks!

OmniFocus does not check the mail account by itself. It requires Apple's Mail client. (Someone might have made it work with a few other mail clients -- check the OmniFocus Extras forum.)

OmniFocus for iPhone doesn't do any mail processing. Of course, if you left the desktop app running and it received new messages, they'd get synced over to the iPhone.

-----------

OmniFocus for Mac only syncs to-do items, not events, to iCal. This feature was primarily created for syncing OmniFocus data with PDAs that know how to sync with iCal. In terms of how things will integrate with a particular application like Sunbird, I recommend downloading OmniFocus 1.1 and trying it out. (There's a 2-week free demo period.)
http://www.omnigroup.com/application...ad/sneakypeek/

-----------

Another possibility to consider, if you're getting into writing your own PHP webpage and stuff, would be to add in a few applescripts, so your data could go straight to OmniFocus for Mac, rather than being routed through Mail.

Thanks. I can handle Mail needing to be open in order for the mail items to be synced into OmniFocus. My main mail client is Eudora it just means having two applications open (OmniFocus and Mail) instead of one.

I'm intrigued by the prospect of AppleScript being able to augment or shortcut this process. Could you elaborate? Thanks.

Also, as a feature suggestion, you might take on the request that either:
1. iCal sync creates events in the calendar itself based on task entry or due date.
or
2. There be some kind of parallel web publishing that creates a static HTML file in a specified location (via WebDAV again?) which acts as an overview of current (selected) projects and tasks.

I'll download the trial and get stuck in. Thanks!

Both 1 and 2 have been developed to some degree and are discussed over in the OmniFocus Extras forum.

If you were hosting your PHP website on the Mac that's running OmniFocus, and if PHP can tell the system "Hey, run this file" then it could trigger an AppleScript. And the AppleScript library for OmniFocus can create actions in the inbox, edit the properties of actions, etc.