The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > Community > Omni Lounge
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Product Request - OmniNote Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
So, dare I say it, on a project I worked on a few months ago in a MS shop, I ended up using OneNote quite heavily. In fact, I fell in love.

Now that I'm back working on my mac (thankfully), I'm sadly, sadly, sadly disappointed at the Note taking software out there. I find it either too limiting (not as free form as One Note), or too buggy (I was using Mori until recently when it decided it could only do index rebuilding and locked me out of my notes...thankfully I found the cache).

So I think OmniGroup should throw together a note program. It should have some things like

1. Navigation bar of notes and collections of notes (folders) to the left/right, etc. Pretty standard
2. Tagging abilities
3. Free form formatting - Easily throw in pictures, urls, references to other types of documents
4. Simple word processing formatting - lists, editing, etc.
5. Spotlight integration
6. Some way to possibly ensure if all hell breaks loose, the data is still accessible (XML format maybe?)
7. Export and or/sharing options

r

I'm not familiar with OneNote, but it seems like you might be able to get a lot of this functionality in OmniOutliner?

1) you can organize all your notes in an outline. the top levels of the outline are available in the drawer to the left.
2) not explicitly, but you could add a "Tags" column, or just put keywords in the notes field of any row and then search for them.
3) Yes
4) Yes, especially lists and styles
5) Yes
6) Yes
7) HTML, PDF, no particular "sharing" features, though.

If you've looked at OmniOutliner and it doesn't do what you want, please make it clearer what features it would need.

Have you tried Devonthink ? It is a very powerful information manager surpassing any other product like on Mac or PC. Version 2 is apparently underworks should be available soon. Not to draw business away from the good folks at omnifocus but it can be purchased as part of the give good food to your mac bundle that ends this weekend (http://www.givegoodfood2yourmac.com/store/) or from the developers website (http://www.devon-technologies.com).

As I have posted elsewhere I think that there could be a niche for an Omni product that competes with the lighter weight filer organizers such as Together, Yojimbo, Eaglefiler, etc.

Back when TextEdit had little blue arrow links I found Finder+TextEdit a very useful notes tool. Several years and several operating systems later I still have access to all those notes since they were just RTF. Now we have Spotlight and you can drop files into documents as links. Document Properties in TextEdit store tags. Very flexible and Free!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwhitney View Post

1. Navigation bar of notes and collections of notes (folders) to the left/right, etc. Pretty standard
2. Tagging abilities
3. Free form formatting - Easily throw in pictures, urls, references to other types of documents
4. Simple word processing formatting - lists, editing, etc.
5. Spotlight integration
6. Some way to possibly ensure if all hell breaks loose, the data is still accessible (XML format maybe?)
7. Export and or/sharing options

r
You should definfitely check out Evernote http://www.evernote.com/. It does nearly all of the above and then some more like cross-platform syncing (mac/win) webaccess to your notes from any pc or mobile phone, iPhone syncing and on top of this: OCR in any picture you take and put into evernote.