The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus Syncing > iCal Sync
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

iCal task url not functional Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hello,

I really like the url OF puts in to the iCal task when it syncs, but they are not working for me. When I click on the link OmniFocus opens, but focuses on a completely wrong, other part of my database without a task even highlighted. (When this works it opens the proper project with the task highlighted, if I remember right.)

What is weird, is that some url's worked for me this morning (after not working yesterday), but now they all go to the same project no matter what project the tasks are actually in. (It was the same thing yesterday, but went to a different project all the time.)

Is something going on with this handy feature? Any ideas?

I have this problem too. Use Help --> Send Feedback to report the bug.

Curt

My suspicion is that the URL is actually fine, and you're tripping over a very annoying OF bug involving window creation when you've got a window focused on a project.

In my experience, if you do have a window in the stack somewhere that is focused on one or more projects, when you do a New Window command, either explicitly or implicitly (by opening a URL from Growl, iCal, etc.), you get a copy of that focused window, even if it isn't the top one on the stack. Murphy's Law pretty much ensures that the project you want will not be in the scope of that focused window, and so it won't be able to take you directly to the action in question -- you'll just get a window that leaves you wondering what is broken. I've been reporting this bug to Omni for months, and I find it quite demoralizing that it appears they may be willing to ship a second release of the product with this bug present.

That doesn't describe what I'm seeing. I have a single OF window open and not focused. Links to OF still fail to target the correct item.

Curt

Okay, then there are multiple ways to lose here. Job security for Omni engineers :-)

When I'm not having that bug I mentioned, the test links I put in work (I don't normally use the feature).

What happens if you copy a link from one of the offending items to something that will let you see what the URL is? Do you get a different URL than the one stuffed into the iCal event?

This is completely independent of iCal. I can Copy As Link from OF and paste into the Safari address bar, for example. Some links open the correct item, others don't. I haven't experimented with it much, link backs have been too buggy to bother with. I've reported bugs and not yet seen mention of fixes in the release notes, so I'm just waiting on it. Frankly I don't have much need for the feature, so I haven't been too bothered by it. Most annoying is that Growl notifications don't link back.

Curt