The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

How about automatic self-updates...? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Case View Post
P.S. — Actually, you can save yourself that time right now (without waiting for us to implement auto-updating) by trying luomat's get-omnifocus.sh script.

"as seen on 43folders.com"

:-)

So, umm, I know what I said last week, but...

We ended up deciding that it's never convenient in any development cycle to improve the software update functionality, which is why some of the ideas we've had (like displaying release notes, indicating whether an update costs money, and what else…—oh, that's right, auto-updating) have been sitting on the back burner since 2002. So we bit the bullet and went ahead and did it.

Enjoy!

Huzzah! That's excellent news.

Yes, this appears to work rather well, and is already on a par with other mechanisms such as Stata's or NovaMind's. Thanks a lot, well done.

Klaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Case View Post
So we bit the bullet and went ahead and did it.

Enjoy!
Thank you, thank you, thank you!

I can't seem to authenticate with the auto update mechanism. Using the same User ID and password I use manually fails. Anyone else seeing this?

I encountered two problems in my last round of updating OmniFocus. I started from rev. 89910.

(1) Check for Updates reported 89950 was available. But the integrated update downloaded and installed rev. 89911.

Repeating the update process again showed 89950 pending, but it downloaded and installed 89932.

A third update finally got to 89950.

(2) The 89932 update failed on the first try:

Attempting a second update failed because "a download is already in progress" (not true).

After a quit and relaunch, updating to 89932 went fine.

When installing 89950 failed with the same mount error, I simply quit OmniFocus, mounted the downloaded disk image, and manually installed the new rev.

[submitted as formal feedback]

The downloaded image file does not auto-delete as per the preference. The disk does unmount.

It does seem the automatic updater will install the next update from what you've been running, not the most recent one.

This will be fine once we're out of alpha, but with several updates a day, it's a pain. [Especially since I didn't update at all since Friday.]

I don't know if this can be fixed, but for now, I'm updating by hand.

--Liz

This is my near-manual way. After agreeing to the legal panel, I run this via LaunchBar.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Update OmniFocus.zip (3.6 KB, 260 views)