The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Constant versioning wastes time Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
The purpose of OF is to save me time.

Look, I have commended your company and your sofware in this forum. I know sync is inherently difficult and Apple hasn't helped. But my patience runs thin.

This *constant* versioning of the software runs completely counter to the goal of your users: simplify their life and reduce time.

*EVERY single time I open the program I am confronted with an update..often requiring a manual download and deletion of the old version.

You may say...oh you can turn that off...but then I know I may be subjected to bugs.

It is the developer's responsibility to provide a reasonable path of usage. Constant updates every time I open the app is making me sour on this tool.

Your very process...it's aking to violating the hypocratic oath of time management.

Set your preferences for 'Check for software updates' to weekly rather than daily.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtdToday View Post
But my patience runs thin.
Perhaps you are a poor candidate for a beta tester.

Uh, you did know you were beta testing, didn't you?

-Dennis

Omni also has only released 2 or 3 updates in the last week. So it's not _every single time_ unless you're firing it up ever few days.

You may want to smoke a fattie, though. Sounds like you need to relax a bit.

the beta is the only version to support iPhone.

Smoking a fat cigar sounds awesome, but for those who really want to get stuff done...u see the point.

Anway...I've expressed myself and I'm back to work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtdToday View Post
*EVERY single time I open the program I am confronted with an update..often requiring a manual download and deletion of the old version.
Then I hope you're filing bug reports to the ninjas with Help->Send Feedback, because this isn't how the software updater is supposed to work, and it isn't how it works in my experience.
Quote:
You may say...oh you can turn that off...but then I know I may be subjected to bugs.
If you're running a computer program, you're subjected to bugs. There are no non-trivial bug-free programs, as a practical matter.
Quote:
It is the developer's responsibility to provide a reasonable path of usage. Constant updates every time I open the app is making me sour on this tool.
You complain about being subjected to bugs, and then complain about Omni attempting to get fixes for the same bugs as soon as possible. Could you explain exactly how you propose it be done better?
Quote:
Your very process...it's aking to violating the hypocratic oath of time management.
This is the first I've heard that Hippocrates founded a school of time management...was this so he could see more patients?

Yes, the alpha 1.5 versions are the only ones that support the iPhone, but the fact that you had to use an alpha test version to sync with the iPhone has been advertised all along on the App store page for OmniFocus. No one attempted to pull the wool over your eyes.

Funny. My reaction is different. I am bummed when I don't see updates. I'm always tickled to see an update and know that OmniFocus is getting better.

same here ! I've seen very few updates that weren't worth installing .
I'm grateful that omni is always looking to tweak and improve OF and not just " resting on their laurels " ; )

Yep, keep those updates coming. They only take a minute to download.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve View Post
Funny. My reaction is different. I am bummed when I don't see updates. I'm always tickled to see an update and know that OmniFocus is getting better.
Me too! Keep up the great work, Omni!