The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniPlan > OmniPlan General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Task groups, and sequential work Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I have work (drywalling) which mostly takes place in sequence, but 5% of that work has to wait until another major task group is complete. I can leave both task groups intact, and just create dependencies between the relevant subgroups (between the two major task groupings), which means my dependency lines in the Gantt chart will make some pretty long vertical lines, but the task groupings remain intact, which I think I prefer. Or I could break the major task groups up, which would make the tasks more linear, but breaking up the major groups seems unappealing. Curious how others approach this.

Bob

Last edited by omnibob; 2012-01-28 at 07:49 PM..

If you have dependencies originating inside a group they'll be drawn coming out of the group even if that group is collapsed. Given that how about putting a milestone at the end of the 95% group. You said the work is mostly sequential, so I'm inferring that group has internal formal dependencies of its own. This way you keep the dependents close to their prerequisites vertically and avoid the long vertical lines.

Now, let's talk about my basement remodel. ;-)

-Tom

That makes a lot of sense, and does apply to my project; I'll give it a try. Thanks.

Bob