The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Moving OF to new computer Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
My MPBR finally arrived, and I'm moving things over from my 2009 MBP.

I am using this as a test run to see if I am fully backed up in case of my computer blowing up, so I am not using any sort of direct transfer. Instead, I'm using my cloud backup to restore.

Anyway, is the OF archive part of the backups? My plan is to simply download OF on the new computer, and restore from a backup.

Anything else I'm missing?

Thanks.

Danworld, when you say "cloud backup", are you referring to our sync server? If that's the case, no, the archive isn't synced to the server.

Having done the computer-to-computer transfer process more than a few times myself, I'd strongly suggest you back up the old Mac with Time Machine, then let Apple's Migration Assistant restore to the new one.

It tests the integrity of your existing backups, gets you up and running on the new Mac, and sets you up to have a decent backup on the new Mac, all at the same time. :-)

Yeah, I'll probably end up doing Migration Assistant from the MBP 2009 to the MBPR. This manual transfer is becoming a pain.

But I was referring to my general cloud backup of my computer. I run a business from my laptop, and I travel a lot in foreign countries, so I use cloud backup. I don't use Time Machine.

I did not think that the archive would be on the synced data as that would make the synced data too clunky.

I still need to know exactly which files I need to keep backed up with my general cloud backup to ensure Omnifocus is maintained in a worst case scenario. It's easy enough to backup the backups, but where is the archive? And is there anything else that I'm forgetting?

Thanks.

If your Library folder in your home directory is backed up, everything OmniFocus touches is backed up. The Archive database is in the same folder as your database, ~/Library/Application Support/OmniFocus. The preferences file is at ~/Library/Preferences/com.omnigroup.OmniFocus.plist. It's possible that if you have the Mac App Store version of the app that these pathnames may not be correct, but they should be sufficiently similar for you to find them.