The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

problem emailing crash logs? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Quote:
Jan 7 10:47:39 fileserver postfix/smtp[18810]: D157A1EABDC5: to=<omniweb-5.6-crash@omnigroup.com>, relay=omnigroup.com[198.151.161.1], delay=3, status=deferred (host omnigroup.com[198.151.161.1] said: 450 <omniweb-5.6-crash@omnigroup.com>: Recipient address rejected: Greylisted for 5 minutes (in reply to RCPT TO command))
Is it my fault for running a (stable) older OmniWeb?
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Hmm. I have had an automated reply, later than I'd expect, so if "Edit this post" had included a 'delete entire thread' option, I'd have used that.

Last edited by leeharveyosmond; 2008-01-07 at 02:24 AM.. Reason: Got a reply

Just to make clear what's happening here: The OW guys seem to use greylisting for their mail server to avoid spam, which means: Every mail is rejected at first, because every real mail server that tries to deliver non-spam email will retry. If the mail is sent in again after some time (five minutes in this case), it will be accepted. Spammers normally don't retry, so this can be quite an effective method to reduce spam.

This kind of spam reduction is highly debated, though, as it means that the load on heavy-duty mail servers may increase drastically – instead of just working on the mail queue one by one, they will have to re-queue every mail to greylisting mail servers.

Some people think this is a really good idea (mostly those running small mail servers), others positively hate it (mostly those running large heavy-duty mail servers). Make up your own mind. ;-)

Best regards,

Christian