The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Level of detail on descriptions Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
I'm trying to improve my use of OmniFocus and I realised that I'm not sure of how detailed I should be on action descriptions. Here are two examples of my current usage problems.

Example 1: shopping list
I have a project called "General Home Shopping" where I add a list of all the groceries I need to buy; it usually looks like this:

General Home Shopping
  • Eggs
  • Cheese
  • Spinach
  • Juice
This organisation is obvious in planning mode, but it doesn't make as much sense when seen in context mode, where I will have "Eggs", "Cheese" and other similar actions listed under Errands. It's not absolutely clear what those actions are supposed to be. "Buy eggs" would be a much better description, but I find it annoying to add "Buy" to the beginning of each action description.

Example 2: software development
I use OmniFocus to make a list of all the steps I need to do in order to finish a particular assignment. One such assignment is a database I'm working on at the moment where I have a long list of integrity restrictions I need to apply. Again, in planning mode, it looks like this:

Programming Assignment
  • Read specification
  • Integrity restrictions
    • Person of type A cannot do action B
    • Action C can only be done on location X
    • Action B has to be done by at least N persons
    • Etc...
  • Write report
  • Submit code on website
  • Deliver report to teacher

It's quite obvious when looking at it in planning mode, but it doesn't make much sense when I look at it in context mode, where I see "Person of type A cannot do action B" under the Mac context.
I could write a longer description such as "Apply integrity restriction: Person of type A ...", but it becomes quite annoying to write that for a long list of restrictions.

How do you guys handle these things?

Thanks!

Last edited by JoaoPinheiro; 2008-11-09 at 06:17 PM..